Easter is fast approaching. I can’t believe that it’s in a few weeks…
I’ve been thinking about Easter for a few weeks now. Ever since I got an invite from Hani to participate in an Easter Extravaganza, I have had Easter on the brain.
I wanted to come up with a great Easter Sunday dessert that everyone will enjoy.
This Mini Meringue Cake has a luscious yellow cake base with whipped egg whites on top. I saw this in a full cake form. It can be baked in two 8 inch round pans if you don’t have a mini cheesecake pan.
I thought this was so much cuter as these single serve cakes.
Now, if you’re looking for MORE Easter inspiration, then look no further than the 21 other bloggers that have decided to take part in this EASTER EXTRAVAGANZA!
Mini Meringue Cakes (from The Joy of Baking)
For the Cake
- 4 large Egg Yolks
- 1 C Cake Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 C Full Milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/3 C Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 – 2 Tlbs Sugar
- 1 pound strawberries and blueberries
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Separate the eggs while they are still cold and set aside to come to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With a paddle attachment in your electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and beat until well combined. Add in vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.Divide the batter evenly between 8 mini cheesecake pans. Set aside while you make the meringue.
- In a clean bowl of your electric mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Divide the meringue evenly between cakes, gently smoothing the tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- When completely cooled, remove from pans.
- Whip your cream until soft peaks form. Cut the strawberries into bite sized pieces and, if necessary, add a little sugar to sweeten them. Place the mini cake layers, meringue side up, on a serving platter. Spread the whipping cream onto the cake and top with the strawberries. Gently place a second mini cake layer, cake side down so the meringue layer is facing up, onto the first layer. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
by Pint Sized Baker
Recipe from Joy of Baking
Gotta Sweet Tooth? Share your recipe with me on Instagram using the hashtag #PintSizedBaker so I can see what you've been craving!