Get your kids into the kitchen to help you make this Peeps Bunny Cookie Sunflower Cake! The Peeps bunny cookies are fun to make and look super cute!
I frosted my lemon cake with some Wilton Chocolate Frosting using 1 cup butter and no shortening. It turns out great every time!
When you’re ready to serve the cake, stack the cookies on top creating a sunflower effect with the yellow to the outside and the brown in the center. I got 8 cookies on top.
Save the leftover cookies to serve on the side to make sure that everyone gets a cookie with their slice of cake!
Peeps Bunny Cookie Sunflower Cake
- 1 Lemon Cake ( 2 8-inch round cakes)
- 1 package of premade Sugar Cookie Dough
- Flour for dusting
- Wilton Yellow Icing
- Wilton Yellow Sanding Sugar
- Chocolate Jimmies
- Chocolate Frosting
- 1 C butter
- 3/4 C cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 3 – 5 Tbsp milk
- Flour your working surface for the sugar cookies. Work with just a baseball size of dough at a time working in a tablespoon of additional flour. Roll your dough and cut desired shape. Place the cookie sheet into the freezer for 20 minutes, then bake at 325 for 12 minutes. Bake all the cookies.
- If the cookies are mis-shaped, use your cookie cutter to recut the design when they are fresh out of the oven.
- Decorate with some chocolate frosting, jimmies and Wilton yellow icing. Leave them to dry.
- Bake your cake, using Wilton’s Bake Even Strips to ensure your cakes bake flat on top, according the instructions and set aside to cool.
- Prepare your chocolate frosting. In a stand mixer, blend the butter and gradually add in the cocoa and powdered sugar as your alternate with the vanilla and cream. Scrape the bowl down for time to time to make sure that all the butter in properly incorporated.
- Frost your cake, cover and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, top the cake with the cookies creating a sunflower effect.
by Karyn Granrud