Posted by Karyn Granrudhttps://pintsizedbaker.com/chocolate-cannoli-shells/
© 2016 Pint Sized Baker. All rights reserved.
Chocolate Canolli Shells
Dark Chocolate Cannoli Shells aren't just for cannolis. Enjoy them stuffed with Ice Cream!
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 C shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 egg white
- Stir together the flour, sugar, dark chocolate cocoa powder and salt. Use a pastry blender or two forks to cut in the shortening until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and honey then stir it into the flower mixture until a dough ball forms.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Lightly flower your work area and roll one dough ball into a 16-inch square. Cut into 16 4x4-inch squares.
- Wrap a square around a cannoli cylinder and use the egg white to "glue" the overlapping dough. Press gently to seal.
- Fry the cannoli shells in hot vegetable oil (350F) for 60 seconds, turning to make sure it cooks evenly. Carefully remove the shells with tongs and drain them on a cooling rack with paper towels.
- When the shells are cool enough, remove the cylinders and continue to cook the dough.
- Store the shells, unfilled, in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Fill with softened ice cream and freeze until ready to serve.