I love to bake fresh bread when it gets cold out. There are so many easy recipes that are fast and easy to make. Don’t be scared to make a fresh loaf tonight with some chili, stew, crock pot roast beef. Oh.My.Gosh! That all sounds so good. If you have been following me on facebook, then you know that I have been suffering from some gall bladder issues. Not to get too scientific on ya, but the gall bladder secretes bile to aid in the digestion of fat. As a result, when I eat fatty foods, my gall bladder can’t do its job properly and it feels like I was hit in the stomach with a baseball bat. Yeah, it really is that bad.
So, I am on a NO FAT diet. Which I really hate because I have been all protein and low sugars for so long, that I just don’t know what to eat. Well, except for bread and hard candies….
This really is an easy recipe to make and follow. Everyone in the family loves it and it’s good for two to three days. Pull it out of the oven, let it rest for 20 minutes, slice in add some butter. Enjoy!
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- cornmeal for dusting
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Place water in large, warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Stir in oil, salt and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about six to eight minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm draft free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. On floured surface, divide dough in half; roll to 15x10-inch ovals. Roll up from long ends to make loaves. Pinch seams and ends to seal; taper ends.
- Place, seam sides down, on large greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover; let rise in warm draft free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with egg white mixture. With a sharp knife, make four or five diagonal cuts (1/4-inch deep), on top of each loaf. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 25 minutes, or until done. For crispier crusts, brush two more times with egg white mixture, after 15 and 20 minutes of baking time. Remove from sheet and cool on wire rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 546Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 113gFiber: 4gSugar: 0gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.