Graham Cracker Eclairs for Two
It has been a very busy year!
I feel like I am constantly behind on every post. I can’t catch up on Facebook. Too many e-mails have gone unanswered. I am just behind!
So, I am going to try and switch stuff up.
I am going to try and get into a ROUTINE!
My routine recently has been to ignore the routine and just get done what NEEDS to get done NOW!
I hope I’m not the only Mom like that.
Like this beautiful dessert, for example. I have wanted to make this for the past six weeks!
I have these great Erewhon Graham Crackers from Attune Foods that I have been hording! I have bought several quarts of cream and whole milk, only to use it in other baking.
I’ve had the recipe dog-eared in the cookbook and it has been mocking me for weeks!
The dust bunnies in the corner have also be mocking me… whatever…
This pudding pastry filling is made on the stove top and is ohhh so good!
You can decide to eat it right way with the graham crackers still crunchy, or you can wait a few hours until the graham crackers are soft.
I like mine a little in between. Soft enough for the fork to go through the grahams, but not too long that they were mushy. When I tried it the next day (for my breakfast snack) I found the graham crackers too mushy and it was quite a pain to eat the custard and not the crackers…
This is labeled as a dessert for two, but it is two very generous servings. My cut squares were 4 x 4 inches. I also did not use all the pastry filling.
I would suggest making the dessert two or three full graham crackers wide. Mine was only 1 1/2 graham crackers wide. If you do make it larger, there is more to share.
Well, if you want to share.
I did NOT share with the mocking dust bunnies.
Graham Cracker Eclairs for Two
Homemade pastry cream is way better than box pudding. Make it fresh, it's so much better.
Recipe added to your shopping list.
- 1/3 C Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbls Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 C Whole Milk
- 1 Tbls Butter
- 1 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Gelatin, unflavored
- 1 Tbls Water
- 3/4 C Heavy Cream (Divided – 1/2 +1/4)
- Sleeve Graham Crackers
- 1/3 C Chocolate Chips
- For the Pastry Cream
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small sauce pan. Add in milk and whisk until smooth. Heat until boiling and continue stirring and scraping the pot. When it reaches a boil, reduce heat to low and cook another 4 minutes until the mixture is thick.
- Removed from heat and add in butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap pressing wrap down to avoid a skin from forming. Cool in fridge for 90 minutes.
- Add ½ Cup cream to a mixing bowl and whip at medium speed. Increase speed and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water wait until softened. Melt in microwave for 10 -20 seconds.
- Remove pudding and whip. Add in gelatin.
- Fold in whipped cream ⅓ at a time.
- To Assemble Eclair
- Use a 7×5 or 8×4 dish. I had neither, so I made a shape with foil.
- Lay Graham Crackers in the dish.
- Layer pastry cream.
- Add graham crackers.
- Layer more pastry cream and top with graham crackers.
- Heat ¼ cup cream and pour over chocolate chips. Stir until melted and smooth. Pour over graham crackers and place in the fridge for a 6 hours or up to two days.