Posted by Karyn Granrudhttps://pintsizedbaker.com/homemade-maraschino-cherries/
© 2016 Pint Sized Baker. All rights reserved.
Homemade Maraschino Cherries
Homemade Maraschino Cherries are easier than you think! Add them to your tarts, cakes, pies, cupcakes, and ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 fluid ounces lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 large orange peel, just the peel
- 1 pound cherries, pitted
- Place all ingredients, except the cherries, into a 2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat until a you reach a low simmer. Stir a few times until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the cherries and continue to simmer for ten minutes. Give the sauce a taste-test to see if it has taken on a cherry flavor.
- Pour out cherries and juice into a large bowl and cool to room temperature. To speed up the process, place the bowl in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Transfer into one quart jars or an air-tight container and refrigerate for at least three days to a week before eating.