Posted by Karyn Granrudhttps://pintsizedbaker.com/strawberry-meringues/
© 2017 Pint Sized Baker. All rights reserved.
These meringue "cupcakes" will impress any guest! Meringue shells filled with strawberry curd and Crème Fraîche.
For the Meringue Shells
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Food Coloring, optional
Strawberry Rhubarb Curd
Homemade Crème Fraîche
For the Meringue
- Place the egg whites into a clean mixing bowl with a clean whisk or beaters. Beat the egg whites until they begin to get foamy, then add the cream of tartar.
- Gradually add in the superfine sugar and wait until stiff peaks form. The meringue will get very white and glossy. Stiff peaks will stand up and not flop over.
- Add the extract and coloring at the very end.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with an open star tip. Pip out the shell and the top. Use the leftover meringue to make star cookies.
- Bake at 225F for 2 hours. Leave them into oven, heat off, light on, overnight to dry completely.
- When you are ready to serve, fill with the Crème Fraîche and Strawberry Rhubarb Curd. Top with a meringue top and enjoy!
The recipe for the meringues is easily doubled. I got four large desserts, plus a bunch of cookies from this recipe.