A new Baby Boy was born!!
Stephanie from Back for Seconds had a baby boy just two weeks ago.
This is very exciting news for her. If you check out her About page, you’ll see why this little guy is so precious to their family.
As I was thinking about recipes and what I was going to share, I came across a recipe for “Blueberry Boy Bait” in the copy of America’s Test Kitchen Best Summer Desserts. I was intrigued.
It’s kinda a mix between a cake and a coffee cake. I found the story behind this dessert to be interesting. It seems that this recipe was named because of the effect it had on young suitors in the 1950’s. I guess all the young men came looking for a good girl who made a killer dessert.
I’d like to think that if I were around in the 1950’s that maybe I would be courted by many eligible young men just so they could get into my baking dishes! Lol!
But seriously, this dessert was yummy. There is a sugar crackle crust to it and it’s filled with sweet blueberries.
One important step that I missed was tossing the blueberries in the flour mixture before adding them to the batter. This would have prevented the blueberries from sinking all the way to the bottom of the pan.
I hope that Stephanie and her family enjoy the Blueberry Boy Bait! We did!
And, like I said, this is a Baby Shower! Head on over to what all the ladies have decided to bring to the Shower!
Pimiento Cheese Spread by Laura’s Baking Talent Sweet and Sour Pulled Chicken by Kathy’s Kitchen Table Skinny Chocolate Chip Cannoli Dip by Frugal Foodie Mama Funfetti Pudding Cookies by Crazy for Crust Blueberry Boy Bait by Pint Sized Baker Strawberry Butter Streusel Muffins by Chocolate, Chocolate, and More White Chocolate Reese’s Brownies by Inside BruCrew Life Blueberry Coffee Cake by Heather’s French Press Skinny Banana Nutella Dip with Star Pie Crust Dippers by Wine & Glue Celebrating with Star Cookies by Created by Diane Lemon Meringue Cookie Cups by Mom on Timeout Skinny Blueberry Cheesecake Bites by Yummy Healthy Easy Skinny Chocolate Muffins by Kitchen Meets Girl Flourless Chocolate Cake by Plaid and Paisley Kitchen
Blueberry Boy Bait
- 2 C Flour
- 1 Tbls Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 C Butter
- 3/4 C Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 C Whole Milk
- 1/2 C Fresh Blueberries
For the Topping
- 1/2 C Fresh Blueberries
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉ and grease and flour a 9×13 baking dish.
- Combine the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Take 1/2 cup of blueberries and toss them in a baggie with a tablespoon of the flour.
- Beat butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Alternate added the flour and milk starting and ending with the flour. Gently fold in the flour coated blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the other 1/2 cup of blueberries on top of the batter. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then cut and serve warm or at room temperature.
- A big scoop if ice cream would go great with this!
by Karyn Granrud
Gotta Sweet Tooth? Share your recipe with me on Instagram using the hashtag #PintSizedBaker so I can see what you've been craving!
I link up at THESE GREAT parties!