Fall is the time for apples and these apples are so delicious! Spice cake cupcakes filled with yummy cooked apples and decorated to look like shiny red apples. My daughter and friend were thrilled to help me in the kitchen with this project. There’s always a great learning opportunity in the kitchen working with measurements with younger children. We loved these apple filled spice cupcakes for our fall dessert.
Do you go apple picking in the fall? Growing up in Hawaii, there were no apples to go picking… there were no leaves changes, no crisp fall air, no corn field mazes or hay bales. Fall on the east coast has grown on me. I love taking my daughter to the fall festivals and picking out pumpkins and gourds and going apple picking. It’s a lot of fun and I hope that she has fond memories of going when she’s older.
Once the cupcakes were baked and cooled it was time to make the apple filling and get to decorating. The girls did have a hard time with this, so I cut, stuffed and re-topped the cupcakes. They had no issues spreading the frosting and turning them into apples!
They also had no issues eating the apple cupcakes!
These girls! I can’t get enough of these girls. They had such a great time in the kitchen with me. They made a huge mess, but it was so worth it!
I hope that you are able to get out to an apple farm this fall season. Head out with the kiddos and enjoy the cooler day by picking out a big pumpkin and getting lost in the corn maze!
- 1 Box Spice Cake + Ingredients to make
- 1 Container Red Sanding Sugar Sprinkles
- 1 Container Cupcake Icing, Red
- 24 Black and White Cupcake Liners
- 2 Apples
- 1 Tbls Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 soft chocolate candies to use as stems (I used Tootsie Rolls)
- 24 Green Candies to use as leaves (I used Jumbo Sprinkles cut in half)
- Prepare the Cupcakes as directed on the box. Set aside to cool.
- If desired, peel apples, core, and cut into 1 inch cubes. Toss with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Add more or less for desired sweetness. Place into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until apples release their juice and start to get tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cut top off of cupcakes and set aside.
- Fill cupcake with cooked apples.
- Place the cupcake top back on the apples. You may have to trim the point off to allow it to sit flat.
- Add Red Frosting.
- Smooth frosting with a knife or small offset spatula.
- Pour Red Sanding Sugar into a shallow but wide bowl and dip the cupcake into the sugar to coat the frosting. Add a chocolate candy and green candy to make a faux stem and leaves.
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.