To make cake pops, you need a solid and delicious cake base. Cake Pops contain not only of baked cake, it needs a binding element. Learn how to make cake pop batter from scratch.
Components of cake pop batter
It must be combined with a thickener so that the round or oval balls are firm and stay that way. For this purpose frosting, for example butter, or melted chocolate is being used.
Tools you will need
Cake Pop Designs
Check out our 180+ Cake Pop Recipes.
Cake Pop Base Batter
- ¾ cups Butter
- ⅔ cups Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Almond Extract
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 3 oz Whole Milk
Ingredients for Butter Frosting
- 4 Tbls Butter
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbls Milk
- Preheat oven to 350ᵒ F (175/180° C). Prepare a 9×13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray and some flour.
Make the cake
- With a paddle attachment, cream the butter then add sugar. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and pale in color. Add in eggs and extracts.
- Combine dry ingredients into one bowl. Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the batter. Mix. Add half of milk. Mix. Add in ⅓ of the flour and mix. Pour in remaining milk and mix. Add in remaining flour and beat until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. Wrap in plastic and set aside.
Make the frosting
- For the frosting beat butter until smooth. Gradually add in Sugar and Milk and beat until smooth.
Combine the cake pop batter
- Cut cake in half and place in mixing bowl. Add ¼ cup of the frosting and mix with a paddle attachment until smooth. There should be no cake lumps and there should be no sign of the frosting. The batter should be that of a play-doh consistency. Add more cake if there is visible frosting. Add more frosting if the batter appears dry.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of the cake pop batter per cake pop and place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Roll the batter between clean, dry hands until smooth. Do not compress the batter.
- Place the rolled cake balls into the fridge for 30 to 60 minutes depending on how soft your cake balls were. Do not place them into the freezer to speed things along. Getting the cake pops too cold will lead to cracked cake pops.
- Melt the candy melts or chocolate for coating in a deep glass bowl or ceramic mug according to directions. Dip and decorate all the cake pops after the tutorial or the wqy you want it.
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.Share Pin Tweet (X) Email Share by Text
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.