This amazing breakfast pastry is perfect for large parties. Baked Strawberry French Toast can be prepared the night before and baked in the morning. It serves a crowd.
Baked Strawberry French Toast
Today we are bringing it all together for breakfast tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow… I’m sorry to say that this is an OVERNIGHT recipe.
You have to make this the night before and then bake it in the morning. This is kind of a good thing. When you have guests staying the night, this is a simple breakfast that won’t keep you in the kitchen. In fact, if you have one of those fancy ovens with a timer to start it, you can preheat the oven, get up and pop the tray in, then go back to snuggling for another 30 minutes. It easier than cold cereal!
I liked the addition of the almond crumble strudel-like topping. It added some crunch and texture to the soft bread. I did see a lot of recipes with the fruit baked in the french toast, but I decided to add it after for the sake of my marriage. (Mr. Quart is not a fan of strawberries and if they were baked in, he would not have eaten it.) Feel free to add the fruit before baking it. It adds so much more flavor to the casserole.
I hope that you and your family enjoy your homemade breakfast treat.
- 1 loaf Challah Bread
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Almond Crumble Topping
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Strawberry Butter
The night before
- Prepare your 9-by-13-inch baking pan by greasing the inside with softened butter or cooking spray. Tear bread into cubes, and place in the pan. Combine the eggs, milk, cream, and vanilla and pour evenly over the bread. All of the bread pieces should be soaked in the milk mixture. Cover the pan tightly with foil and store in the fridge overnight.
- Mix all of the almond crumble ingredients together and store in refrigerator overnight.
In the morning
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the French Toast and crumble from the fridge. Break up the crumble mixture and sprinkle it over the casserole.
- Bake for 40 minutes for a softer French toast and 60 minutes for a crispier French Toast.
- Top with sliced strawberries to garnish. Add your Homemade Strawberry Butter and syrup.
Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.