It’s that time of year for cookie swaps!
Grandma’s Czechoslovakian Cookies
Just before Thanksgiving I got to baking… Now I know I was only supposed to make one cookie, but I can’t do that. Instead I made three cookies to send off.
and these Czechoslovakian Cookie Bars.
All the recipes came from my Russian Grandmother. I miss her this time of year.
These Czechoslovakian Cookie Bars are one of my favorites. They have a simple cookie base, and are topped with a layer of your favorite jam, then more of the cookie dough crumbled on top. Baked and then sprinkled with a bit of powdered sugar, these Czechoslovakian Cookie Bars are just perfect – delicious, easy to make, and fun to share!
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- Lingonberry Jam (or your favorite flavor)
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with foil or spay with non-stick spray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar with a paddle attachment until well blended and fluffy. Add in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in well. Incorporate in the flour.
- Spread half of the dough mixture into the pan and press down. Spread jam over dough. I used about 8 oz of jam, but I think I should have used more. Take a handful of remaining dough and press in your palms. Lay the remaining dough over the jam and continue to add more of the dough to cover all of the jam.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar.