The fruit in the grocery store stinks. It’s not really fresh and it’s not really ripe…and it’s way too expensive.
So, the perfect solution is dried fruit!
And, this snack is perfect for lunch boxes!
These Cereal Bars are made with marshmallows and honey so they are not the healthiest bars you can make, but you can add some healthy stuff to them.
Like ground Flax and chia seeds. Ground hazelnuts, walnuts, or pistachio nuts. Pumpkin seeds. Sunflower seeds. Powered Peanut Butter.
Or you could use different dried fruit. Raisins or Craisins. Banana chips and apple chips. Dried blueberries and cherries… Oh, I could make a thousand different varieties.
But, I decided to go with a colorful variety.
I used Pineapple, apricots, and mango with chocolate covered sunflower seeds.
I really liked the color in these bars.
This recipe filled a 9 x 11 pan, so I added some mini chocolate chips to half the pan. I LOVED them!
I did think that the combination was a bit sweet, though. With the honey, marshmallows and sweet cereal, it was a bit much for me, but my friend thought they were great!
Next time, I’m going to just use corn flakes instead of honey oat cereal.
Dried Fruit and Cereal Bars
- 1/4 C Honey
- 2 Tbls Butter
- 10 Oz package of Mini Marshmallows
- 6 C Honey and Oat Flake Cereal
- 1 C dried mixed Fruit (Pineapple, Mango, and Apricots)
- 1 C Shreaded Sweetened Coconut
- 1/2 C Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds
- 1 C Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 C mini Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Pour Cereal into a gallon size baggie and break up flakes by hand.
In a large glass bowl, melt Honey and Butter in the microwave for 45 seconds. Mix well.
- Add mini marshmallows to the bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Add cereal, coconut, almonds and sunflower seeds to melted marshmallows and stir to coat.
- Press into a greased 9×13 pan and allow to harden in fridge. (I lined my pan with easy release foil)
- You can also sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the mixture and press in with spatula.