Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread
Banana Bread full of dried cherries, toasted walnuts and covered in chocolate.
- 3/4 C dried cherries
- 2 C flour
- 1 1/4 C walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 C sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 C whole milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- Soak the cherries for 30 minutes in water to re-hydrate. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with shortening and flour dusting.
- Toast the walnuts in a fry pan over medium heat or in a toaster oven. Both methods take 5 - 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cooled walnuts. Set aside.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and mix in the milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla with a wooden spoon. The mixture will the thick and chunky. Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined and add in the dried cherries. Remove ½ cup of the batter and mix in cocoa powder.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan, then layer in the chocolate batter and top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 60 minutes and test with a toothpick. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 45 seconds then pour over the chocolate chips. Let the heat from the milk melt the chocolate chips for 5 minutes before stirring. Stir until smooth and pour over the loaf of banana bread.
- Add a few dried cherries over top the chocolate. Cut thick slices and serve.