Grab the family and head off to the park for a picnic. This Chocolate Picnic Cake with fresh fruit and whipped cream is easy to pack up and serve from in the new OXO SNAP Glass Containers. *Disclaimer OXO sent my family a set of SNAP containers to try out. I was not monetarily compensated for this post – all opinions are my own.
Chocolate Picnic Cake
The 4th of July weekend was all about picnics and going to the park to watch the fireworks. It’s my annual consumption of Kentucky Fried Chicken eating in the grass. OXO had sent me a set of their new SNAP glass containers with snap on lids and I wanted to give them a test run. So I baked a chocolate cake in one, chopped up some fresh fruit in another, made some whipped cream in a third and added some sprinkles to the fourth. In addition to the containers, I brought along a salad shaker that was filled with chocolate syrup! We loved our Chocolate Picnic Cake with toppings and they traveled great in my picnic basket!
These containers were great! I packed up my dessert and brought it all to the park. We served it up and then put it all away. I loved bringing the chocolate sauce along as well. It was the perfect topping on the cake! Carrying it in the salad shaker was a totally smart idea my husband had 🙂 Thanks honey!
This cake is studded with chocolate chips and was baked in my toaster oven. Since I wasn’t going to turn it out of the pan and frost it, I just left it to cool in the baking dish. Since the SNAP Glass Food Storage Containers are made from BPA-free borosilicate glass, they can withstand extreme temperature changes without the risk of cracking or shattering. When we got home, the bowls either went back into the fridge or into the dishwasher.
Since then we made some spaghetti sauce and I used the large (7 cup) container to store the leftovers. I store all red sauce items in a glass container. Keeping it in glass means there’s no stained plastic container going back into my pantry. It’s also so much better to reheat food in glass containers versus plastic containers. In fact, my kids school will only reheat food in glass containers, so the smaller 1 cup and 2 cup containers will be perfect for school lunches that need to be warmed up!
The best part is that the SNAP Glass Containers are both nestable and stackable, which means whether they’re full or empty, it’s easy to fit them into my cabinets. For someone short on cabinet space, this is a lifesaver!
Check out more yummy chocolate cake recipes
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 cups mixed berries, cut up
- chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Add in the milk, butter, egg, and extract and mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grease and flour the 7-cup OXO SNAP container (or 1 8″ cake pan). Pour the batter into the pan and add a few more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before covering up.
- Whip your heavy cream and add 1 teaspoon of melted gelatin to stabilize it. Adding the gelatin to the whipped cream will help it from separating in the heat. Store it in the 2 cup SNAP container.
- Cut up some strawberries, cherries, raspberries, and blueberries and store them in the 5 cup SNAP container.
- Add some chocolate syrup to the OXO salad dressing shaker and pack up your cooler!
- Add some sprinkles to the 1 cup SNAP container.
Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.