It is starting to get steamy in West Virginia! My plants and I are drooping pretty good come 4 p.m., so I made myself some sweet and salty Watermelon Ice Cream to reward myself after watering the plants.
This is a no-churn frozen dessert that is easy to make and requires no ice cream maker.
Personally, I’m a watermelon purest. I like it cold, crisp, and juicy. My father-in-law adds salt to his and I’ve got a few friends who do as well. The salt is totally optional, but I actually liked it. It was a bit unexpected and added a little extra umami. I loved it!
I hope that you are enjoying the beginning to your summer. I sure am! Stay COOL!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Additional Time 6 hours
Total Time 6 hours 15 minutes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup watermelon puree
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk and watermelon puree. Add in the food coloring if desired. Fold in whipped cream with a rubber spatula.
- Pour into a 2-quart container and add in the mini chocolate chips. Sprinkle salt over top of the ice cream.
- Freeze 6 hours or until firm. Store in freezer.