Father’s Day Big Mac Cake
Sing it with me!!
“Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun!” Yeah!
I wanted to go BIG! I wanted to go BOLD!
Did I succeed?
This Big Mac Cake has been on my mind for several months. I’ve seen the mini cupcake versions and I’ve seen the more life-like burgers with fondant. Dieter’s Downfall doesn’t do mini and I don’t have the skills to craft lettuce, cheese, and onions from fondant…
So, I went big and easy with this Big Mac Cake.
I made a three layer Yellow Cake that used 8 egg yolks. I hope you saved those egg whites, because today we are making our frosting with 4 of them.
I thought about making a thicker butter cream frosting that would hold up and I could pipe out kinda pretty, but I had all these egg whites and, to be honest, Angel Food Cake still kinda scares me….
Also, have you ever seen a “pretty” Big Mac? Be honest. They are kinda messy and never look they way they do in the commercials or promotional photos, so I think my messy version is spot on.
- Put everything, except the vanilla, into a medium bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water to make a double boiler. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Place a spatchula into the pot to allow the steam to escape.
- Cook mixture over medium-low heat and beat with a hand mixer on medium high speed. It should take seven minutes to achieve stiff peaks.
- Remove from heat and beat in vanilla. Separate into three bowls with food coloring. Whip in the colors being careful not to over whip the frosting. It will turn to liquid and loose all the air bubbles if you over whip.
- Frost immediately or cover with plastic wrap pressing onto the frosting to avoid drying out.
- Level one cake layer and place on a serving tray. I also trimmed the edges of the cake because they were a bit browner than I desired. Place a brownie on top.
- Add some Orange (special sauce), Green (lettuce), and Yellow (cheese) allowing some to drip over the edges.
- Level a second cake and repeat with the brownies and frosting.
- Top with remaining cake and sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
Save the egg whites from the Yellow Cake to make your frosting.
Find the recipe for the Three Layer Yellow Cake HERE.
Find the recipe for the Fudgy Brownies HERE.