Another year bites the dust. Today is my 39th Birthday and I couldn’t be happier. The nice people from Nocciolata sent me some of their chocolate hazelnut spread to try out and so I made some frosting and drizzle with it to go on my chocolate chip banana birthday cake!
I know it’s a bit of a “nontraditional” birthday cake, but I loved it!
Banana Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 C butter
- 1 2/3 C brown sugar
- 1 C masked bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 C + 1 Tbls buttermilk
- 1/4 C walnuts
- 1/2 C mini chocolate chips
For the Frosting
- 1/2 C Nocciolata Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 Tbls milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease two 6″ round pans.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In your mixer, blend the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the bananas then the egg and egg yolk. Reduce the mixer to low and alternately add the flour and buttermilk just until mixed. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pans for 30 minutes then remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Whip the Nocciolata and powdered sugar with milk until light and fluffy. When the cakes are cool, frost one top, place the second cake on top and frost just the top. I used a 1M large open star tip to make a rosette design.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of Nocciolata in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add a bit of milk to make it like a ganache and drizzle it over top and down the sides.
Gotta Sweet Tooth? Share your recipe with me on Instagram using the hashtag #PintSizedBaker so I can see what you've been craving!