Enjoy making this Ombre Easter Cake with a simple technique that makes any colored cake look beautiful and perfect for an Easter celebration!
Here comes Peter Cottontail! Are you ready for Easter Sunday celebrations? I’m planning on remaking this Ombre Easter Cake with chocolate bunnies!It’s so easy to make a 5 layer ombre cake with this great Wilton Easy Layers Cake Pan kit. Wilton sent me a kit to play with and I immediately fell in love with it. Pick it up now online or at your local craft store (pssst, the craft stores usually have awesome coupons).
To make these chocolate bunnies, you’ll need this Wilton Bunny Silicone Mold, chocolate candy melts, and some Peeps icing decorations. Of course, you can make any color of candy bunnies you’d like – white, pink, or yellow.My daughter loved the little chocolate bunnies. I left mine faceless, but she insisted on giving them faces with my Wilton food writer edible markers. She had a lot of fun with them!
The surprise inside is sure to impress your family and friends. If you’re not a big fan of the pink colors, you can change the color to suit you. Wilton has so many great colors to personalize your cake and frosting!
- 1 White Cake Mix + ingredients on box
- Wilton Pink Food Coloring
- Chocolate Candy Melts and Wilton Bunny Mold
- Wilton Candy Decoration
- Wilton Spring Sprinkles
- 1½ C butter (3 sticks)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 3 – 5 Tbsp milk
- Bake your cakes
- Make the white cake mix according to the instructions. Weigh your cake mix and divide by 5 for equal layers. Measure out one pan of white and add a touch of pink to the remainder of the batter. Measure out a second pan of pale pink batter. Add a bit more pink coloring and repeat until you have five pans of batter with varying levels of pink.
- Bake the cakes at 350 for 15 minutes and cool.
- Make your buttercream frosting.
- Cream the butter and add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Prepare three Wilton piping bags and add ½ of the frosting to one bag. Add a bit of pink coloring to the frosting. Add half ½ the light pink frosting to a piping bag and add a bit more pink to the remaining frosting. You’ll end up with three piping bags of frosting – white, light pink, and dark pink.
- Make your Bunnies
- Melt your Chocolate Wafers according to the instructions. Place the melted candy into a baggie and carefully fill the bunny molds. Tap the mold to release any air bubbles and then refrigerate to harden, about 30 minutes. Press the chocolate bunny out of the mold and decorate with a bit of melted chocolate to attach the candy.
- Decorate the Cake
- Layer the cakes with a bit of white frosting between layers and crumb coat the cake. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes and then layer the dark pink, light pink and white around the cake. Place a large offset spatula perpendicular to the cake and carefully frost the cake to minimally mix the colors.
- Add the chocolate bunnies, sprinkles and decorations to the cake and serve!