I love a good frosting recipe and I’m getting much more confident with buttercream. I’m still not sure if this is a Swiss Meringue buttercream, French meringue buttercream or an Italian buttercream. I think that they all taste great, and I don’t think it really matters. However, I was curious, so I had to look it up.
Italian Meringue heats the egg whites and sugar to 240℉, or to a soft ball stage on a candy thermometer. It melts completely to a syrup. We don’t get this one that hot so it’s not an Italian buttercream.
That leaves Swiss buttercream. This is a Rum Spiced Swiss Meringue Buttercream 🙂 I’m happy to know it!
I’ve made other buttercreams, here and here. They are all different. It’s amazing all the different ways to mix eggs and sugar. Adding flavors makes a huge difference as well. Find one that you like the best.
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 C butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 C Dark Spiced Rum
- Prepare a double boiler and bring the butter to room temperature.
- Place the sugar and egg whites into the top of the double boiler and whip. The sugar will dissolve and the mixture will thin out. Heat until it's warm in the center.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a stand mixer bowl. Whisk it on medium-high until the bowl and the meringue is at room temperature. This should take about 8 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the butter one tablespoon at a time. The frosting will look curdled as it mixes in. Just keep whipping it and it will come together just fine. Add in the vanilla, salt and rum just as the buttercream is coming together, and beat in for 1 minute to combine.
- If it absolutely doesn't come together, take a cup out and melt it in the microwave. Add the melted frosting to the mixture and whip on high for three minutes.
- Store the frosting in an airtight container for up to three days on the counter or in the fridge for up to two weeks. Re-beat it with a paddle attachment to whip it before frosting a cake. The frosting may separate while beating, just keep it going for ten minutes.