Well, a good tart needs a good crust. Some of the easiest ones are generally graham cracker or cookie crusts. You can go the easy route, I won’t judge (much), or you can make your own cookies to make the crust.
And that’s just what I did with this recipe.
The recipe from the book Butter Baked Goods referred to these are Homemade Oreo’s. To tell you the truth, they were not close to being what most people think of as Oreo’s.
For starters, these cookies were very large. A big bonus in my book.
These cookies were soft and chewy. Another plus.
Finally, there’s a sugar crust on them – SCORE!
So, to me, these are so much better than Oreo’s. Yes, it’s easier to drive to the store and buy the Oreo’s but, really, it’s more fun to make them at home with your kiddo. Or surprise the kids when they come home from school. My daughter had a huge smile on her face when she saw these cookies waiting for her when she walked in the door from school.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies bring back that nostalgic feeling of enjoying another famous cookie.
for the Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
for the Filling
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbls vanilla
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir them together.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, then the vanilla and beat until combined. Finally add in the dry ingredients.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, measure out the cookies onto a sheet lined with either parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Put a small amount of sugar into a bowl, press the bottom of a glass into the sugar and slightly flatten the cookie.
- Bake at 350℉ for 15 minutes. The edges should be slightly firm, but soft in the middle. Press more sugar into the top of the cookie flattening it a bit more with a glass.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
for the filling
- Combine all ingredients in a mixer on medium speed.
- TIP for a white center, use Clear Vanilla instead of a real vanilla. Real Vanilla will tint your filling a bit brown.
- Sandwich the filling and cookies and enjoy.
- (Save 8 - 10 cookies for the tart crust, but enjoy the rest.)