Practice makes perfect. These Pumpkin Spice Macarons aren’t the easiest to make, but they sure are pretty. Learn from my mistakes and measure everything.
Pumpkin Spice Macarons
I have a new love of Macarons. I think I’ve finally figured out the trick to them. I’ve made them a few times now and each time they get easier and easier.
For the Macarons
- 100 grams Powdered Sugar
- 100 grams Almond Flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 55 grams of superfine sugar
For the Filling
- 1/4 C Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese
- 1 C Powdered Sugar
For the Decorating
- White Almond Bark
- Colored Candy Disks
- Sprinkles – I used gold sugar, white sugar, gold mini dragees, and fall colored sugar pearls
- Line two baking sheets with parchment or a silicon mat. Prepare a pastry bag with a large round tip and preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Combine the powdered sugar and almond flour in a food processor and pulse several times to combine and get out any lumps.
- Place the egg whites into a mixer with a whisk attachment and whip until foamy. Add in the cream of tartar and increase the speed to medium high. When soft peaks start to form, gradually add in the superfine sugar. Increase the speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the mixing bowl and sift 1/3 of the almond sugar mixture over the meringue. Fold in until it’s incorporated and then add in another 1/3 of the mixture. Fold again and then add in all of the flour and sugar folding until the mixture is thick and viscus and falls off the spatula in a long ribbon.
- Transfer the mixture into the piping bag and pipe out 1 1/2 inch circles.
- Bang the cookie sheet on the counter to get out any air bubbles. Let them sit for 20 – 30 minutes and make sure that their surfaces are dry to the touch.
- Reduce the heat to 325℉ and bake one sheet at a time for 10 minutes, turning the sheet half way through.
- Let the cookies cool completely on the sheets. Do not try to remove them while they are still warm, they will most likely rip the bottoms. Peel away the parchment or silicon from the cool Macarons.
- For the Filling
- Mix the cream cheese with the powdered sugar until smooth and combined. Add a dollop to the center of one cookie and make a sandwich.
- To decorate
- Melt some white Almond Bark according to the directions. You can color your candy with OIL BASED colors or buy precolored candy melts. Dip 1/2 of the macaron into the candy, shake off the excess and then add your sprinkles. Stand them up and leave to dry.
- To store them, place into a container and keep refrigerated. Take them out 30 minutes before serving, but leave them in the closed container. Any condensation that may form will form on the container and not on your pretty cookies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 4g