This easy christmas cake is a no brainer during the holidays. Buy a Panettone at the store or make it yourself, either way will make a great mascarpone filled christmas panettone. Spiked Mascarpone whipped cream and raspberries turn this sweet bread into an amazing holiday cake.
The Christmas season is a time for celebration and family gatherings. It’s also a time for good food. One of the most popular holiday foods is panettone, a sweet Italian bread that is usually served as dessert.
This year, buy a loft and serve up an amazing dessert! It’s not as difficult as you might think, and the results are well worth your time. You may just want to make this every single Christmas!
Why You’ll Love This Cake Recipe
- It’s so versatile – Panettone can be enjoyed in so many different ways. Whether you like it plain or with a bit of butter or jam, it’s always delicious. Plus, it makes a great base for French toast or bread pudding.
- Packed with flavor – From the sweetness of the bread to the zesty citrus flavor, every bite of panettone is bursting with flavor. And if you’re feeling extra festive, you can always add a splash of rum or brandy to your slice.
- A fun tradition – Panettone is more than just a delicious bread, it’s also steeped in tradition. Italians have been eating panettone at Christmas for centuries, and we think it’s time for the rest of the world to catch on!
Ingredients Needed for the Christmas Panettone Cake
- Panettone – You can find this at most grocery stores, usually in the bread aisle.
- Heavy whipping cream – This will be whipped into a fluffy whipped cream frosting.
- Mascarpone Cheese – The tangy mascarpone cheese will be added to the whipped cream.
- Powdered sugar – This will be used to dust the cake and sweeten the cream.
- Grand Manier (optional) – This is a type of French liqueur, but you could also use rum or brandy.
- Orange marmalade – This will be used for the glaze.
What is a Panettone?
A Panettone is a traditional Italian holiday bread that is often enjoyed during Christmas and New Year’s. It is a round, dome-shaped loaf that is typically made with flour, eggs, butter, sugar, optional raisins, candied fruit, and yeast. The dough is usually very soft and fluffy, and it is often served with a dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy it as is with coffee or tea.
Can I bake my own panettone?
Of course, you can bake your own Panettone. I’ve not done so (yet) but all the recipes online take a good two days to make at home. A good Panettone is soft, fluffy, and slightly sweet. The dough is then enriched with more butter before being shaped into a round and left to rise.
Once baked, the cake should be moist and light, with a golden-brown crust. The flavor of a good Panettone cake should be subtly sweet, with a hint of citrus from the fruit.
What does panettone taste like?
It has a light, fluffy texture and is typically studded with optional raisins and fruit. The dough can also be infused with a variety of rich flavors, including vanilla, orange, and lemon. As a result, panettone has a sweet and slightly citrusy flavor that is simply irresistible.
Recipe Tips for Your Christmas Italian Cake
Christmas Panettone is a delicious and festive Italian holiday cake. If you’re looking to impress your guests this holiday season, here are three recipe tips and tricks for making the perfect Christmas Panettone:
- To start, pick up a premade Panettone loaf. I got mine at the grocery store, but feel free to get yours at a specialty bakery.
- I picked a plain loaf for this cake. Try it with chocolate chips and nuts. Just pick your favorite. The whipped cream doesn’t change the flavor of the cake.
- Serve the Panettone cake within a few hours of layering. Don’t let the whipped cream melt near a heater.
- This cake is best when consumed on the same day. The mascarpone whipped cream isn’t too forgiving and will get softer.
Follow these tips and tricks and you’ll be sure to impress your guests with delicious, homemade Christmas panettone!
Looking for more Holiday Cake inspiration? Check these out!
- Baked Panettone French Toast Casserole
- Panettone Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce
- Pan Fried Panettone French Toast
Simple Christmas Panettone
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz Mascarpone
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Grand Manier optional
- 1 Plain Panettone Vanilla
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup raspberries or other berries
- Pour the whipping cream into your mixer with a whip attachment. Whip on medium until it starts to thicken.
- Add in the mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Add in the Grand Manier and whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Unwrap your panettone from the box and remove all wrapping. Slice off the top dome of the panettone. Divide the remainder into three equal layers.
- Melt the orange marmalade in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Place the base of the panettone on a serving platter. Spread 1/3 of the orange marmalade over. Add 1/3 of the whipped cream and top with fresh raspberries. Repeat for the second and third layers. Wait on adding the top raspberries.
- Loosely cover and refrigerate for 5 hours to let the flavors develop. Remove 30 minutes prior to serving.
- Add raspberries to the top and dust with a tablespoon of powdered sugar.
- To serve slice one layer at a time to serve. Each layer should provide 6 slices.
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.