I love the simple Meringue Cookie! It’s so much easier than its cousin – the Macaron. My Meringues always turn out great and I can make them in the evening and then forget about them until the next morning. Love it!
I picked up a bag of the Candy Cane Hershey Kisses but wasn’t sure what to do with them. There are so many beautiful ideas floating around the internet, that I HAD to come up with something different.
Enter these cookies.
The trick to Meringue Cookies is, obviously, the Meringue. You’ve got to beat it until you get a stiff peak!
Add the sugar slowly and don’t pop all the air bubbles when piping it out.
I left the meringue vanilla flavored because the candy cane Kiss in the center added lots of flavor!
Another trick to Meringues, is to let them sit in the oven overnight with the light on to completely dry and cool. They should pop right off of your cookie sheets when cool.
A few of the Kisses melted slightly in the oven, but that wasn’t a big deal. They firmed back up while cooling and I just broke off the little bit that bubbled up underneath.
Meringue Hugged Kisses
Mmm! I love these Meringue Hugged Kisses. They're so delicious, and the Kisses add a great flavor to meringue. I also love the color!
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/2 C Superfine Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pink Food Coloring (optional)
- Candy Cane Hershey Kisses (unwrapped)
- Place 16 – 20 Candy Cane Hershey’s Kisses on a cookie sheet lines with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Add egg white to a mixer fitted with a wire whipping attachment. Whip on medium speed for 3 minutes. When frothy, start adding sugar a teaspoon at a time stopping 2 – 3 times to scrape the sides of the bowl. Add in Cream of Tartar and vanilla and continue to whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add food coloring if desired.
- Transfer meringue to a pipping bag fitted with a Wilton 2M tip. Pipe around each Kiss until all are covered. Make mini designs with excess meringue in the open spaces.
- Bake at 200 deg F for 1 hour. Turn cookie sheet around and bake for another 45 minutes. When done, simply turn off heat, turn on light, and leave overnight in the oven to cool.
- Keep Meringue Cookies in an airtight container.
Do you love candy cane treats as much as I do? Give these recipes a try!