Cool off this summer with a refreshing Ginger Thyme Granita with Roasted Pineapple. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the great flavors of summer.
This simple, low-calorie dessert is going to be your new best friend. There are just a few ingredients used to make this naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain-free summer treat.
What is Granita?
Granita is a frozen dessert made by blending together fruit and water and then scraping it as it freezes to make small ice crystals. For this dessert, I combined ginger beer with fresh-picked thyme and then froze it in an ice cube tray. Instead of scrapping it, I decided to just put all the ice cubes into a food processor to make the process a little easier.
This isn’t a smooth and creamy frozen treat. It’s really just flavored ice.
How to Chop a Pineapple
The easiest way that I know how to cut a pineapple is to remove the top and bottom with a large sharp knife. Stand up the pineapple and slice off the sides being sure to remove all the “eyes”. For this dessert we want to keep the center of the pineapple, so once the outer skin is removed, lay it on its side and slice it into 8 even parts.
It’s that easy.
Try these Pineapple Treats. They are perfect for summer.
- 1 tsp fresh, organic Thyme leaves
- 2 (12 oz) cans Ginger Beer or Ginger Soda
- 1 whole Pineapple
- Vegetable Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Remove the thyme leaves from the springs and sprinkle them into an ice cube tray. Fill up the ice cube tray with the Ginger Beer and freeze overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
- Remove the exterior of the pineapple, including the eyes, and slice into 8 equal parts. Lay the pineapple slices on a cookie sheet lined with a silicone mat. Brush both sides of the pineapple with the oil and sprinkle with sugar. Add salt if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes then flip over and continue baking for 10 more minutes. You should see some browning of the tips.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet.
- Remove the ginger thyme ice cubes and place them into a food processor. Pulse until the ice is light and fluffy. If you are not serving it right away, place it into a shallow bowl or cake pan and return it to the freezer. Scrape with a fork to loosen prior to serving.
- To serve, place a warm slice of pineapple on a plate and top with a tablespoon of the Ginger Thyme Granita.
- Enjoy on a warm evening.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.