This amazing Orange and Chocolate Cake is totally vegan and the inside and looks amazing when sliced into. Cover it in ganache or make a vegan frosting.
Orange and Chocolate Cake
Are you a fan of Orange and Chocolate together? If not, you’re about to become one! This cake will make you a believer.
This is a Vegan Cake that is rich and moist and has a wonderful balance of the orange and chocolate flavors. I love any “traditional” cake made with butter, eggs, and milk, however, in my never-ending quest to make new recipes, I decided to give this vegan thing a try.
I was thrilled with the cake back in 2014 when I made it with a whipped ganache frosting. That tasted amazing, however it resulted in it loosing all the value of baking a vegan cake.
You see, in the summer of 2016, my husband decided to only eat vegan. He went cold turkey on meat, dairy, eggs, and everything in between. He constantly asks me to bake him vegan treats, so I decided to remake this cake with a vegan buttercream just for him. I’ve given you both frosting recipes, you can decide how you want to frost the cake. Below is the cake from 2014 with the ganache frosting.
My husband really appreciated that I took the time to bake him a cake for no special reason (other than updating photos of this amzing cake!). He now has cake for a month in the freezer. He’s a simple man to please.
The method of making this cake is pretty simple. You have two cake batters and you’re adding a scoop of one and a scoop if the other right on top. Kinda a bullseye effect of the two batters. The result is a really cool zebra pattern on the inside. Check it out!!
It looks amazing on the inside – and I love it!
Are you ready to dig in?
Vegan Buttercream Option
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 2 Cups Vegan Butter
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To Decorate the Cake
- Frost your cold cake with the Whipped Ganache Frosting and place it into the fridge.
- Peel your tangerines and set the "pretty" ones aside. Discard any that are ripped or disfigured.
- Melt you chocolate chips in a bowl and stir until smooth.
- Dip your tangerine segments into the chocolate, shake off the excess and place it on to a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Remove the cake and add the chocolate dipped tangerines to the top of the cake.
- Cut and serve.
For an all Vegan Option
- Make the Vegan Buttercream by whipping the vegan butter until smooth. Carefully add in the cocoa powder. Alternately add in the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk. Don't forget the vanilla. Whip it for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Frost the cake and decorate with tangerine segments as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g