So, I’ve made tart crusts on here before… and I’ll be the first one to admit that I really stink at baking a crust.
That is why I took these lovely photos of the raw crust!
I just can’t keep my crust from shrinking. Always! Without fail. The sides shrink and it looks pretty pathetic in the tart pan… Any suggestions??
I’ve tried all of the following –
a. Start with COLD dough. This dough sat in the fridge overnight before I started working it for the pan.
b. Pop the rolled dough into the freezer for 30 minutes before placing it in the oven.
c. Line the bottom with pie weights (or uncooked rice or beans). Did that. It just cooked the edges that much more than the bottom.
Anyway, this is Pâte Sucrée has an egg yolk and is cookie-like because of the stick of butter and extra sugar used. It’s a very forgiving crust that also freezes well.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Cream the butter, sugar, and salt in a mixer with a paddle attachment. Gradually add the flour then the egg yolk until it just comes together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 1 hour. The dough will keep in the fridge like this for 5 days. I left mine in overnight.
- When ready, remove the dough from the fridge and let it sit for 15 minutes. Sprinkle a work area with some flour and gradually start flattening the dough out. You may need to give it a few good whacks with the rolling pin if it’s still very hard.
- Roll it to a 12 inch circle and then transfer it to your tart pan. The easiest way to transfer the crust is to roll it over the rolling pin and then unroll it into your tart pan. Press the dough into the pan and pinch together any tears that may have occurred. Use any scraps to fill in thin spots or to fix any holes or tears.
- Place the dough into the fridge or freezer to firm back up. This should prevent the crust from shrinking. You can also wrap the tart pan and freeze it for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely before filling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.