Prepare this recipe for decadent Mixed Berries Shortcakes in less than two hours for a flavorful treat that you can eat whenever you want. Satisfy your sweet tooth with mixed fruit and a touch of sugar!
Mixed Berry Shortcakes
Have you ever had shortcakes? If not, you’re missing out on the perfect snack that you can enjoy at any time of the day, whether it’s early in the morning or late at night. The Berry Shortcake recipe is easy enough to follow and will leave you with some of the tastiest shortcakes you’ve ever tried topped with mixed berries and sweet whipped cream. If you’re ready to make an impressive treat that you can enjoy alone or serve to loved ones, this dessert recipe is worth a try.
Why You’ll Love This Shortcake Biscuit Recipe
- The Berry Shortcake dessert is perfect for those who love the taste of fresh fruit. If you’re a fan of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries, this recipe is perfect for you.
- It’s not hard to prepare these shortcakes. With the right ingredients and a bit of your time, you can make something delicious.
- These are great to have at home for quick breakfasts and light snacks when you’re craving something sweet.
Must-Have Brown Sugar and Berry Shortcake Ingredients
Before you can prepare the Brown Sugar and Berry Shortcakes, you’ll need to have the following ingredients:
- Mixed Berries – This recipe calls for blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, all of which will add great natural flavor to your shortcakes.
- Light Brown Sugar – You’ll add light brown sugar to the fruit to give it that sweeter taste.
- Flour – Use two cups of flour to create the shortbread for these shortcakes.
- Butter – You want your butter cold to cut it into your flour. These are fancy-pants biscuits.
- Sour Cream – It may sound a bit odd, but the addition of sour cream gives these treats a better taste and texture.
You’re also going to need salt, an egg, sugar, and some baking powder to complete this recipe.
Should I wash the mixed berries before I use them?
Yes! Be sure to wash your berries before adding them to this recipe to remove any potential dirt that might be on them. Washing the berries is such a simple process. You can place them in a bowl and soak them in two cups of water with a teaspoon of vinegar for about 10-15 minutes before rinsing them off and then combining them with the sugar in a bowl.
Can I add raspberries to the berry mixture?
Absolutely. If you’re a fan of raspberries, feel free to toss them into the bowl with your blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries for added flavor. You can also customize the amount of fruit you choose to use based on which ones you like best, whether you’re a fan of blueberries or someone who loves strawberries over every other fruit.
What is the best way to measure the biscuit dough?
Using a cookie scoop is a convenient, mess-free way to spread your six rounds of dough on the prepared baking sheet. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, feel free to use an ice cream scoop as an alternative. Whatever is an easier way to measure out a quarter of a cup.
Do I have to make homemade whipped cream for these shortcakes?
Not at all. The homemade whipped cream is easy enough to prepare and has such a great taste to it, so it’s highly recommended. However, if you don’t want to go through that process, you can use whipped cream from a container or spray bottle, whichever you prefer.
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Make sure to let your berries sit for a minimum of 30 minutes after mashing them and combining them with the sugar. You want to give the sugar and natural fruit juices time to macerate.
- If you want to prepare the whipped cream but don’t have a stand mixer, use a bowl and a hand mixer. You can achieve the same results using a hand mixer that you would from a stand mixer.
- Don’t hesitate to add extra toppings to your Brown Sugar and Berry Shortcakes. For example, you can toss a few mini chocolate chip morsels into the mixture with the whipped cream or even drizzle a bit of chocolate syrup on top of everything as a finishing touch.
Here are a few more great recipes that use strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries –
- Easy Berry Cobbler
- Mixed Berry Moscow Mules
- Easy Berry Monkey Bread
- Red, White, and Blue Yum Yum
- Mixed Berry Sherbet
For the Mixed Fruit
- 4 cups blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries
- 8 ounces strawberries
- 4-6 tablespoons light brown sugar
For the Brown Sugar Shortcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Brown Sugar Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
For the Mixed Berries
- Wash the berries. Hull and slice the strawberries. Place half the berries into a bowl with the sugar. Mash them with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Toss in the remaining berries and set them aside to macerate and release their juices. About 30 minutes.
Bake the Shortcakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. About 15 pulses just to break down the brown sugar.
- Slice the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the food processor. Pulse 10 times until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and sour cream together. Stir into the flour mixture until a thick dough starts to form. Use your hands to kneed the dough into a ball. There should be no flour visible.
- Use an ice cream scooper to measure out six rounds placing each one on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle on the sugar.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes. The tops of the shortcakes should be golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- In a stand-up mixer or a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, sour cream, and light brown sugar. Whisk on medium and increase to high whipping until stiff peaks form.
- When ready to serve, slice the shortcakes in half. Spoon over the mixed berries, add the whipped cream, and top with the shortcake top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 688Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 613mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 7gSugar: 36gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.