Get your kids into the kitchen to help you make this Peeps Bunny Cookie Sunflower Cake! The Peeps bunny cookies are fun to make and look super cute!
Are you preparing for Eater yet? I have to admit that it has kinda snuck up on me (story of my 2015 so far), so I’ve put together a quick and easy cake for you to enjoy.Wilton graciously sent me some Peeps cookie cutters to have some fun with.
I decided to do a version of the infamous Peeps Sunflower Cake with the cookies. I love how the Peeps Bunny Cookies looked on top of the cake! Get your kids into the kitchen and have them help you make this Peeps Bunny Cookie Sunflower Cake!
To make this a quickly, I used a lemon cake mix and pre-made sugar cookie mix.
Now, I know that the premade cookie mix just isn’t the same as homemade and that it has a horrible tendency to spread and lose its shape. Well, here’s my trick to solve that dilemma – As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press your cookie cutter into them creating a perforation to the cookies. When the cookies are cool, simply break off the excess and your cookies will have the perfect shape!
See? Perfectly shaped bunny cookies! All ready to be decorated.
To decorate them, I used some chocolate frosting, chocolate jimmies, Wilton yellow icing, and some Wilton sanding sugar.
Couldn’t be easier! Let your kids get in there and play with them.
I frosted my lemon cake with some Wilton Chocolate Frosting using 1 cup butter and no shortening. It turns out great every time!
When you’re ready to serve the cake, stack the cookies on top creating a sunflower effect with the yellow to the outside and the brown in the center. I got 8 cookies on top.
Save the leftover cookies to serve on the side to make sure that everyone gets a cookie with their slice of cake!
This really is a yummy cake to enjoy with minimal work. It’s sure to please your family and friends this Easter season.
Of course you can make this cake with just about any cookie decoration for different holidays.
Peeps Bunny Cookie Sunflower Cake
Recipe Type: cake
- 1 Lemon Cake ( 2 8-inch round cakes)
- 1 package of premade Sugar Cookie Dough
- Flour for dusting
- Wilton Yellow Icing
- Wilton Yellow Sanding Sugar
- Chocolate Jimmies
- Chocolate Frosting
- 1 C butter
- 3/4 C cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 3 – 5 Tbsp milk
- Flour your working surface for the sugar cookies. Work with just a baseball size of dough at a time working in a tablespoon of additional flour. Roll your dough and cut desired shape. Place the cookie sheet into the freezer for 20 minutes, then bake at 325 for 12 minutes. Bake all the cookies.
- If the cookies are mis-shaped, use your cookie cutter to recut the design when they are fresh out of the oven.
- Decorate with some chocolate frosting, jimmies and Wilton yellow icing. Leave them to dry.
- Bake your cake, using Wilton’s Bake Even Strips to ensure your cakes bake flat on top, according the instructions and set aside to cool.
- Prepare your chocolate frosting. In a stand mixer, blend the butter and gradually add in the cocoa and powdered sugar as your alternate with the vanilla and cream. Scrape the bowl down for time to time to make sure that all the butter in properly incorporated.
- Frost your cake, cover and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, top the cake with the cookies creating a sunflower effect.