Create the cutest Christmas-themed treats this holiday season with this recipe for Peppermint Snowball Cookies. Not only are they adorable, but they’re also super flavorful.
Do you look forward to seeing the snow on the ground as it gets closer to Christmas? You may love the colder winter weather and how it brings everyone together during the holiday season to spend quality time with one another. If you look forward to getting together with your family and want to make something special for them, these Peppermint Snowball Cookies are an excellent choice. Both kids and adults thoroughly enjoy these sweet baked treats prepared from scratch and made to look like the snowballs you’d throw around with one another in the backyard on a snowy day.
Why You’ll Love These Peppermint Snowball Cookies
- They’re unique – Sure, you like chocolate chip cookies and all, but these are different. If you want to make something different from what you’re used to having, this cookie recipe is a must-try.
- It’s not hard to make these cookies – Believe it or not, you don’t need to know much about baking to put these tasty cookies together. You can make the most delicious and adorable Peppermint Snowball Cookies with a simple recipe like this!
- Everyone will love them – The ingredients used to prepare these cookies pair perfectly together to the point that everyone who tastes them will love them. Don’t be surprised if some of your family members start asking you for the recipe! It’s up to you to decide if you’re going to share it with them or keep it as your little Christmas secret!
Ingredients Needed for Peppermint Cookies
- Unsalted Butter – Grab two sticks of butter, remove the packaging, and allow them to sit out to soften.
- Powdered Sugar – Sift through your powdered sugar and be sure to set some aside for when you’re rolling the cookies.
- Peppermint Extract – This extract gives the cookies a slightly minty taste that isn’t too overpowering.
- Vanilla Extract – Add hints of vanilla to the cookies that will go great with the peppermint extract.
- All-Purpose Flour – Use the flour with the rest of your dry ingredients to prepare the dough for your cookies.
- Salt – A tiny bit of salt is all you’ll need to enhance the taste of these cookies, making them super enjoyable with every bite.
- Peppermint Candies – Finely crush your candies into the tiniest pieces to add them to your cookies.
You can easily whip up the most delicious Peppermint Snowball Cookies with these few ingredients.
What are Peppermint Christmas Cookies?
Peppermint Christmas Cookies are homemade cookies with hints of vanilla and peppermint formed in the shape of a ball to emulate the overall appearance of a snowball. The best way to give them more of that snowball appearance is to roll them in powdered sugar, and you can add as much of it as you’d like to these cookies. Although you can make these at any time of the year, whenever you’re in the mood for something sweet and simple, they’re perfect for the holiday season and are a great dessert to serve after having dinner with family and/or friends on Christmas.
What makes the perfect Peppermint Cookie?
The perfect cookie with peppermint has an equal amount of vanilla and mint flavor so that it isn’t too minty yet not too plain. In addition, it’s light, slightly crispy, and has the perfect texture, making it that much more enjoyable. When you prepare these cookies from scratch, be sure not to overbake them in the oven because you don’t want them to be as hard as a rock when biting into them. And don’t forget to put a generous amount of powdered sugar on them. The powdered sugar really adds something extra to these cookies.
Helpful Tips and Tricks for the Peppermint Cookie Recipe
- Check your cookies at the eight-minute mark and remove them from the oven if they’re golden brown on the bottom. If not, you can allow them to bake for an additional two to three minutes.
- Allow your cookies to cool completely before you begin rolling them in more powdered sugar. You can create a rolling station with a plate full of powdered sugar to make it easy for you.
- Once you’ve prepared these cookies, you can store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh for up to three days.
Enjoy these homemade Peppermint Snowball Cookies. They have the perfect taste and texture and are great for the holidays!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar, sifted, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Crush peppermint by using a resealable bag and rolling pin or the flat end of meat mallet.
- In a large bowl or bowl or electric mixer, beat together butter and ⅔ cup powdered sugar until well combined.
- Add both extracts and salt.
- Gradually add flour, beating until well combined.
- Add crushed peppermint candy and blend well.
- Divide the dough using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before transferring cookies to cool completely.
- Roll in additional powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.