Classic homemade biscuits with fresh strawberries and sweet whipped cream come together to make the best strawberry shortcakes you have ever had.
Enjoy the sweet taste of these easy Classic Strawberry Shortcakes. They’re fun to prepare and taste amazing!
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Take a classic dessert and prepare it your way with this fun and simple Classic Strawberry Shortcake recipe. In less than two hours, you’ll have the most flavorful and delicious shortcakes with strawberries and a whipped cream topping that you’ll enjoy devouring! Not only are these perfect as a quick snack or dessert, but you can also enjoy these biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream for breakfast when you want something sweet and fulfilling early in the morning.
Why You’ll Love This Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- It’s a simple recipe. You can prepare the ingredients in about 45 minutes and cook these shortcakes for roughly 15 minutes!
- These shortcakes taste amazing. If you’re in the mood for something sweet and you love strawberries, this is the recipe for you.
- When you follow this recipe, you’ll have enough to serve up to six people, which is perfect if you have a small family that you’d like to feed with these shortcakes.
Shortcake Biscuit Recipe Ingredients
While you’ll need strawberries for the shortcake recipe, there are several other ingredients you need. If you want to know how to make strawberry shortcakes like a pro, be sure to grab the following essentials:
- Strawberries – Grab two pounds of strawberries for this flavorful recipe.
- Sugar – You’ll need sugar to combine with your strawberries and to add to your biscuit dough that you’ll prepare from scratch.
- Flour – Use the flour to create the biscuit dough. You can mix it with the other ingredients to prepare a flavorful and light dough that bakes to perfection.
- Baking Powder – This is a must-have ingredient that ensures your biscuits have the perfect texture.
- Butter – Make sure you’re using around eight tablespoons of COLD butter for this recipe.
You’re also going to need an egg, milk, some salt, and an egg white. When preparing the whipped cream, be sure to have cold heavy cream, a tablespoon of sugar, and a teaspoon of vanilla.
Can I use frozen strawberries for this recipe?
It’s best to use fresh strawberries. However, if you need to use the frozen kind, be sure to thaw them beforehand. You’ll also need to roll them in a clean towel to remove any excess liquid from them.
Do I need to clean the strawberries?
It’s a good idea to clean your strawberries beforehand. The easiest way to do that is to place them in a large straining bowl and rinse them under the faucet for several minutes. Place the strawberries in a separate dry bowl and wipe off any remaining water before you begin using them to make your Classic Strawberry Shortcakes.
Can I make a chocolate version of the whipped cream?
Absolutely. If you love the taste of chocolate and would rather use chocolate whipped cream, feel free to combine your cold heavy cream with sugar, vanilla, and a bit of chocolate syrup or unsweetened cocoa powder, whichever you prefer. You may need to adjust the amount of each ingredient to achieve the perfect consistency, but the chocolate whipped cream will taste just as good with your strawberries and shortcakes.
Can I make this with other fruits?
You definitely can make this with other fruits. While this recipe is for a classic strawberry shortcake treat, you can always add other fruits to it, such as blueberries and blackberries like I did in this Mixed Berry and Brown Sugar recipe.
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Use a potato masher to crush half of your strawberries. If you don’t have a potato masher, you can use the back of a fork or spoon to get the job done!
- Allow your bowl of strawberries to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes once you’ve added the sugar to them. The natural sugars from the fruit pair well with the granulated sugar, soaking into one another to create the most amazing taste.
- Let your biscuits cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before attempting to slice them in half and add your other ingredients, such as the strawberries and the whipped cream. If you touch them too soon, not only do you risk burning your fingers, but your biscuits will likely start falling apart, crumbling in your hands!
Make the most delicious and impressive strawberry shortcakes with this recipe. It’s fun to make these sweet treats and even more enjoyable to devour them.
Looking for more strawberry treats? I’ve got you covered!
- Strawberry Martini
- Balsamic Strawberry Ricotta Crostini
- Nectarine Strawberry Tomato Bruschetta
- Chicken Berry Pasta
- Strawberry Bread
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Classic Strawberry Shortcakes
Classic homemade biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream come together to make the best strawberry shortcakes recipe you have ever had.
- 2 pounds strawberries
- 6 tablespoons sugar
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Prepare the Strawberries
- Clean, hull and slice the strawberries and put them into a large bowl. Crush half the strawberries with a potato masher or the back of the fork and toss in with the reserved sliced strawberries with the sugar. Set the bowl aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve and the strawberries to release their juice.
Make the Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 425 deg F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt three times just to mix them up.
- Slice the butter into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand. About 15 - 20 pulses. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk and egg together. Pour this into the flour mixture and stir until large clumps form. Knead with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into six equal parts. Roll each section and then pat down to about 3/4" tall and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg white, then sprinkle on the remaining granulated sugar.
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. The biscuits should be golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Make the Whipped Cream
- When you are ready to serve your shortcakes, whisk your heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Assemble your shortcakes. Split the biscuit in half. Spoon the strawberries over the bottom biscuit, top with whipped cream, and add the top of the biscuit like a sandwich.
The strawberries may take up to 2 hours to completely soften and macerate.
The unbaked biscuits can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours.
Bakes and cooled biscuits can be stored at room temperature for a day. Before assembling, I like to warm them back up in my toaster oven at 350 for 3 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 596Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 586mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 4gSugar: 35gProtein: 9g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.