This holiday season, step up your shortbread cookie game with an embossing rolling pin. These embossed shortbread cookies are easy to make and look amazing on a cookie platter.
Shortbread cookies are always a favorite to cookie platters for Christmas. These pretty ones have added texture thanks to an embossed rolling pin.
I love the look of the designs on these cookies. Adding the color to the glaze really helps to highlight the design.
How to use an Embossed Rolling Pin
As you can see in the photo, the embossed rolling pin has lots of intricate hollow areas. It’s important that your dough doesn’t get stuck in those small crevices.
- Generously add flour to your rolling pin.
- Ensure that your dough is cold and not sticky.
- Only roll over the dough once! Do not go back and forth.
What is the difference between Shortbread and Sugar Cookies?
Shortbread cookies do not have eggs.
They are also baked longer and at a lower temperature.
What is the difference between Shortbread and Butter Cookies?
Butter Cookies have a lot of butter (fat), but when compared to shortbread cookies, butter cookies have more flour and sugar in the recipe.
Butter Cookies can be pipped out and still hold their shape.
I love the versatility of shortbread cookies. The flavor is mild which allows us to add flavor to the glaze, dip them in chocolate, or top them with buttercream.
Here, I’ve dipped a few in melted chocolate and added some Christmas sprinkles for a fun pop or color.
This sugar glaze is light and thin. Think of a thin doughnut glaze and not a heavy royal icing glaze.
To ensure a thin, even coat you will need to heat the water and sugar together in a frying pan. You can add a drop of extract to the glaze if you want to add in some flavor. Continue to turn the heat on as the mixture cools and hardens over and off when it melts completely again.
Colored Sugar Glaze
To get this lovely watercolor look, add a drop of gel food coloring to the sugar in the pan. Swirl the color a bit with a toothpick and then dip the cookie down into the glaze.
Here’s a few more ways to enjoy your shortbread:
- Almond Shortbread Bars
- Low Carb Tagalong Bars
- The Best Lemon Bars
- Chocolate Caramel Bars with Shortbread Crust
- Raspberry Jam Shortbread Tart
- Gingerbread Cheesecake
Here’s a few Shortbread recipes that would be great embossed!
- 400 grams flour
- 75 grams powdered sugar
- 200 grams butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg
- dash of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a ball.
- Divide the ball into two or three smaller balls for easier work.
- Roll out with a regular rolling pin between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Flour the top of the dough and on the embossing rolling pin to prevent sticking.
- Place the embossing pin and press and roll slowly and strongly to get a good imprint.
- Cut the cookies with a cookie cutter. I used a 2-inch round biscuit cutter.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and place into the freezer for 15 -30 minutes to set the pattern.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- In a small frying pan, heat 1 C powdered sugar with 1/4 C water. Heat on low until melted and then remove from heat. Dip the cookies into the sugar glaze and dry overnight on a cooling rack. For some added color, add a few drops of food coloring and swirl with a toothpick. Dip the cookies in for a marbled effect. Do NOT let the sugar glaze boil. If it crusts over, reheat and stir until all liquid again.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Orapink 6 PCS Progressive International Two Side Plastic Round Cookie Cutters Biscuit Cutters and Fondant Cake Cutters Random Assorted Color Premium Quality Cookie Cutter Set
- Embossing Rolling Pin Flower Pattern Engraved Wooden 3D Roller for Embossed Pastry Fondant Cake Dough Biscuit Pottery Clay Baking Tool Housewarming Christmas Gift 14.17 inch
- OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cookie Sheet
- Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat - Pack of 3
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 51mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.