A great dessert any time of year – Red Wine Poached Pears flavored with a hint of cinnamon and lemon. An easy dessert to prepare ahead of time.
Red Wine Poached Pears
I’m not sure what to say except for YUM!
I had never before had poached pears. I really wasn’t sure what I was in for. I could not have imagined the wonderful smells that were coming from the wine and cinnamon and lemon cooking together. Mr. Quart commented that it smelled almost like Germany at Christmas time. The mulled wine filled my house with a pleasant perfume.
I wish I had a scented candle that smelled like that!
- 4 Pears, ripe but still firm
- 1 ½ Cups Water
- 1 ½ Cups Red Wine
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Peel Pears. Cut in half lengthwise, remove seed center, stem and blossom end.
- In a large sauce pan, add the water, wine, and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add pears, lemon and cinnamon. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn pears over and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove pears and place flat in a container. Continue to cook the red wine sauce over high heat until it reduces by half and becomes more syrupy. This should take 20 minutes
- Pour wine sauce through a strainer over the pears. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Now for the taste of the Poached Pears – O.M.G! Amazing! I was lucky to have gotten through photographing these without eating them all! I guess I was always nervous and scared to try a poached pear. I don’t know why… I’ve been missing out!
I just “paired” these up with some fresh whipped cream and a few lemon twists to garnish.
Poached pears are not difficult to make. Give it a try for your dinner party. Your guests will not be disappointed! Trust me.