For the Shortbread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- dash of salt
For the Dulce de Leche
- 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the Chocolate Layer
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- Fleur de Sel or fine sea salt
For the Shortbread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a sheet of foil into an 8 x 8 baking dish and add cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, place all the dry ingredients and give it a pulse or two to combine. Cut the cold stick of butter into small squares and add to the food processor. Pulse until the butter is incorporated and the batter starts to stick to itself. Press the dough into the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes until the edges are brown.
- Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
For the Dulce de Leche and Chocolate
- Pour milk and butter into a heavy bottomed saucepan and place over low heat. Stir constantly as it comes to a boil. Continue stirring for 20 minutes. The milk will turn thick and light brown. (NOTE – I should have kept it on the stove for 5 more minutes. I pulled it off early because I was nervous of it burning.) Pour over shortbread place in the fridge to cool.
- Chop chocolate and place in double boiler and melt. Or a glass bowl and microwave to melt it. Melt for 30 second interval at 80% power with a lot of stirring in between. Once smooth, pour on top and allow to harden. This may take a long time depending on your home temperature and humidity. Wait for it to get firm, but not hard and sprinkle on some salt. Place into fridge to completely set.
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.