For $2 and some free time, you can make your own homemade Dulce de leche caramel sauce at home. It’s easy to make and great on so many treats.
Homemade Dulce le Leche
Last week I was fortunate to experience Food Blog Forum in Ashville, North Carolina. While there, I got to experience some amazing chocolate from a little place called “French Broad Chocolate“. My husband has been on me to make a Chocolate Whiskey Cake, so I figured this was the best time to make this amazing cake!
If you don’t know what Dulce de Leche is, let me bring you up to speed.
Think of it as milk caramel. It’s soft and creamy but won’t get really hard like traditional sugar caramel does. Oh, and it tastes amazing! Making it from sweetened condensed milk is very easy. When I Googled it, it seems like there are six different ways to make it. I went with the oven method.
Basically, empty the can into an oven safe bowl, cover with foil, place it into a larger container with a water-bath and then bake it for 90 minutes. Easy Peasy!
Once it’s turned brown and thickens, give it a good stir and let it cool completely before refrigerating. It goes great in many baked goods as well as an ice cream topping, coffee sweetener, and for simply spreading over toast for a sweet breakfast treat.
- 1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Dash of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a glass container and add the salt. Cover tightly with foil and place into a second container and add water to create a water-bath.
- Cook for 75 – 90 minutes, checking on the browning, around 60 minutes.
- Stir until smooth and let it cool completely.
- Place in an air-tight container and refrigerate.
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.