I brought home some Haupia mix from Hawaii and found these great coconut cookies at Trader Joe’s.
Another great way to enjoy Haupia is on Ice Cream!
Oh my… I think you get my drift… If you enjoy coconut flavor on your desserts, you need to try this!
Coconut Haupia and Chocolate Tarts
- Coconut Cookie Thins, pulsed to make 1 Cup
- 3 Tbls Butter, melted
- 1 packet Haupia mix
- 1 Cup water
- Whole and Sliced Almonds
- 6 Ounces Dark Chocolate
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Shredded Coconut, if desired
- Pulse Cookies in a Food Processor. Add the melted butter and create a crumble. Press the crumble into 4 mini tart pans. Place in fridge while making filling. There may be a little left over.
- Boil water and add Haupia mix. Stir until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon and a defined line is left behind.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of haupia to tarts. I had a little left over, but did not want to overfill tart tins.
- Place in fridge for an hour to firm up.
- Add whole and/or slivered almonds to the top of the Haupia.
- Heat Cream in microwave and pour over chopped Chocolate. Stir until melted chocolate is smooth and glossy. Add additional heated cream to get the consistency desired.
- Pour ganache over the tarts and fill the tins, covering the almonds.
- Top with Shredded Coconut if desired and place in fridge for 3 hours for chocolate to firm up.
- *NOTE – Do not let these sit overnight. The Haupia will cause the crust to get soggy.
by Karyn Granrud