This easy blueberry cake based on a yeast dough is quick to whip up and serves a crowd! You can decide to make it from scratch, or use quick and easy supermarket products. It’ll be your new go-to pot luck dessert! You can use fresh or frozen blueberries.
Easy Blueberry Cake Recipe
If you like to take desserts and cake to parties, this easy all-time favorite Blueberry Pan Cake will please the crowd! The yeasty dough and aromatic blueberry filling are a real treat. You’ll love how quick it is to make and everyone is going to love how awesome it tastes.
With the bottom yeast dough layer German style, it’s not nearly as messy as traditional fruit cake. These are made to eat with your fingers! Trust me on this one! German Blueberry cake is known for its deliciousness.
Yeast dough from scratch or cake mix
You can start this recipe off with a yellow cake mix, or do it from scratch. Yeast dough needs some time to develop to a fluffy, yet dense crust it that makes this cake so unique. Still, cake mix has everything you need in it to save you some time and get you moving on to other things.
A note: If you use cake mix and yeast together, the double use of a leavening agent (baking powder and yeast) will result in a super fluffy cake, with more of a sponge cake like constistency. Leave out the baking powder (as in the recipe) for a more compact result.
What do serve with it?
You can make this for a family gathering and serve it with a whipped cream, or a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. That’s my favorite way to enjoy it. Still a little warm from the oven with a scoop of ice cream. You can also drizzle with homemade custard, vanilla sauce, Dulce de Leche, or just leave it as it is.
You gotta make this yummy blueberry cake.
Old fashioned Blueberry Cake
For the dough base:
- 1 package Yellow Cake mix 18 oz
Or dough from scratch:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup powdered milk non-fat
- 1 pinch of Salt
Adding to both options:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 packet dry yeast
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup shredded Coconut
The Blueberry Filling (alternatively 2 cans of 21 oz Lucky Leaf Blueberry Pie Filling)
- 2½ cups blueberries fresh, or frozen and thawed
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup powered sugar
- 3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan with butter or neutral vegetable oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the dough together, or put the cake mix in a large bowl. Remove 1 cup of the mix and set aside. Form a pit in the flour and pour the tablespoons of milk into it. Stir in the yeast and mix it with the milk. Add some of the flour mixture from the edge and stir until a paste is formed. The yeast mixture should still be in the pit. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let it sit for 30 Minutes for the yeast to develop.
- Afterwards, add the water and stir. Now add the eggs und mix into a thick and sticky dough. Press it all into the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover again and let sit again at room temperature for 1 hour.
- In the meantime cook your blueberry filling: Add blueberries, water, sugar and lemon juice to a pan, and bring to boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes, until all the berries are all mashed up. Stir in the cornstarch und stir until a smooth texture is reached. Simmer for another minute, then take it off the heat and let cool. Alternatively open the cans of blueberry filling.
- For the crumble top: In a separate bowl, combine the 1 cup of reserved cake mix with the butter and coconut and mash with a fork and then use your fingers to combine. Drop the coconut mixture over the blueberry filling. There’s no need to be perfect or neat.
- Bake at 350℉ for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and make the glaze. Drizzle over the warm cake and serve (with ice cream is preferred)!
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.