This easy Cardinal Cake Pop Tutorial is broken down into step by step instructions so you and the kids can make them at home.
Yes, I know that they have special down feathers or they grow their winter coat, but really, don’t they just wanna sit inside and have a hot meal? Do they really not mind? I’ll never know.
I know a lot of people may disagree, and that’s totally cool. You can come over and shovel my drive way the next time it snows here.
Cardinal Cake Pop Tutorial
- 1/4 of a 9 x 13 baked cake
- 2 Tbsp frosting
- Red Make N' Mold Candy Wafers
- White Make N' Mold Candy Wafers
- Sprinkles, large hearts
- Sprinkles, orange flowers or leaves
- Sprinkles, mini colored chips
- Shredded coconut
- Cookie sheet lined with wax paper
- Lollipop sticks
- Black food coloring pen
- Place the cake and frosting into a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and blend until a thick “dough” forms.
- Measure into a 1.5 Tbsp cookie scoop, roll, smooth, then shape into a crescent shape. Complete for all the dough. You should end up with 8 – 9 pops.
- Place the dough into the fridge to firm up.
- On your cookie sheet lined with wax paper, place a 2 inch disk of melted white candy for each cake pop. Place the tray into the freezer for 5 minutes to harden. Add a second layer of white candy to half the disk and sprinkle it with the shredded coconut. Set the tray aside to allow for the candy to dry.
- Remove your dough from the fridge and melt you red candy. Dip your lollipop sticks into the candy then into the back of the bird. Dip the pop and tap off the excess candy. Stand up to dry and harden.
- When all the pops are done and dry, draw a rounded heart on to make the face with the black food coloring pen.
- Use a toothpick to add a dot of candy to attach the feet, beak, and wings. Use the tweezers to hold the little sprinkles. Use a second toothpick to add white candy eyes.
- Put some white candy on the Cardinals belly and place them on the snow disk.
- Enjoy your winter birds!