You’ve gotta be a citrus fan for this week’s recipe. I know that y’all love the chocolate and peanut butter desserts… but there is just something magical about citrus. It just lights up my mouth and brightens up my day!
And, you can’t beat the fresh yellow and green colors in the kitchen when it’s so cold and dark outside. It’s just a little ray of sunshine in the house.
I told him how easy it was to make at home, but you know it always tastes better when someone else makes the treats. While I was brainstorming this Angel Food and Key Lime Ice Cream cake, I had to come up with a third recipe for it…
That’s when I found “Rich Hot Lemon Sauce in my copy of Joy of Cooking.
I loved the sauce with the angel cake and lime ice cream. It was really a wonderful addition.
Using store-bought lemon juice will save you some time, but if you have the lemons, you may as well squeeze a few.
The lemon sauce would also be great over coconut ice cream, pound cake, or a blueberry crumb cake.
Lemon and Lime Dessert
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream sandwiched between Meyer Lemon Angel Food Cake served with whipped cream and a hot lemon sauce.
For the Hot Lemon Sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) cut into 8 slices
- Cut the Angel Cake in half horizontally. Add a layer of the Key Lime ice cream then top with angel cake. Place into the freezer to keep cold.
- Prepare your lemon sauce.
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice, zest and water in a small pot and whisk in the egg yolks. Place over medium-low heat and add in the butter. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a simmer, then cook until thickened. Strain through a fine mesh and serve.
- Remove the cake and ice cream from the freezer. Slice the cake and pour sauce over it.
Find the recipe for the Key Lime Ice Cream HERE.
Find the recipe for the Meyer Lemon Angel Cake HERE.