Raspberry Lemon Cake – Day one – Lemon Curd
This week, I’ve baked you a HUGE cake! This cake has 4 recipes associated with it, but don’t get overwhelmed, I’ve broken them down for you to make a little at a time. We are going to make an amazing Buttercream, this Easy Lemon Curd Recipe, Lemon Sponge Cake, and Lemon Simple Syrup. We’ll put it all together with a few raspberries and we’ll have a wonderfully, lemony cake! Trust me on this, this is going to EPIC!
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Use an enamel, glass, or stainless steel saucepan and combine the lemon juice, butter, and cream. Cook over medium heat just until it scalds, but not boiling.
- In a large glass bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together. Then slowly add 1/4 of the hot lemon mixture to the eggs and temper the eggs. Whisk constantly while adding the hot mixture to the eggs making sure that you don’t cook the eggs. Continue to add the hot lemon to the egg until it’s completely whisked in.
- Pour it back into the sauce pan and cook over medium heat. Stir it constantly with a wooden spoon. Scrape along the bottom and sides of the pan watching for the mixture to thicken. To test for proper thickness, remove the spoon and drag your finger across the back of it. You should leave a defined trail behind that does not immediately fill back in.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh into a clean bowl. Stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Seal the bowl or pour it into a mason jar and refrigerate.
- Your lemon curd should be good for 5 days.
You can make this lemon curd any time of the year. This recipe makes more than two cups of curd, so if you don’t need that much, cut the recipe in half.
Lemon curd is great on cakes, obviously, but it’s also good on pancakes, muffins, scones, inside cupcakes, on toast… well, I guess anywhere you want some extra lemon flavor. Don’t let the name throw you. Fruit curds are not to be confused with milk curds. There is no Lemon Cheese. Fruit curds are similar to jams. They are made with the juice and zest and then thickened by heating eggs.
I’ve also added some butter and some milk fat to make this curd extra creamy and smooth.
I’m a big fan of citrus. My husband, eh, not so much. So this tasty treat was all mine!
I’ve used 90% of it for the cake, but saved a bit just for me 🙂
For more Lemon Curd treats, check out these desserts