Homemade Seven Minute Frosting is just what your cake needs! It’s light and fluffy and perfect on any cake. It’s just like Grandma used to make.
Seven Minute Frosting
I have a love/hate relationship with seven minute frosting. I LOVE to eat it, and I hate to make it…
You see, previously when I’ve made it, the frosting turned out gritty because the sugar didn’t completely dissolve while I was making it. It turns out that I was never getting it hot enough. I also think that the name is quite deceiving. I find that it takes closer to 15 minutes to get the sugar to melt and have a super white glossy finish.
I have fond memories of Easter Bunny Cakes made with seven minute frosting. It’s such a yummy frosting. However, it is very sticky! Egg whites and sugar are like edible super glue! Just make sure to wipe up any mess before it dries. Cause when it does, it takes some elbow grease or some serious soaking time to clean it up.
Yes, I used my immersion blender whip attachment for the second part of whipping. I don’t think my handheld mixer could keep up any longer. It was getting a bit hot; that’s not a good sign.
This frosting is best used ASAP. Frost your cake or cupcakes as soon as the frosting is ready. It will dry and crust over a bit, but it will still be soft and fluffy on the inside.
It’s also great for attaching coconut to an Easter Cake.
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place the sugar, water, egg whites, and cream of tartar into a large glass bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water to create a makeshift double boiler. Make sure that the steam has a way to vent out.
- Beat with a handheld mixer on high until the meringue reaches 160 on a candy thermometer. This took me 15 minutes, not seven.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and continue to whip for 5 minutes to thicken and cool.
- Frost your cake immediately with the frosting. If you leave the frosting, the top will dry out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.