Do you love your Rice Cereal Treats?
I normally make them the “traditional” way, but when I came across Browned Butter with Peanut Butter Bars, from Joy the Baker, I knew I had to try them!
As luck, and perfect timing, would have it I received some Rice Cereal from Attune Foods.
I generally eat my cereal in a bowl, but with the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer fundraiser coming up, I knew some Bars were called for!
I’ve got to let you in a little secret…
This was the first time I’ve “browned” butter. I was a bit nervous and scared that there was some sort of cosmic trick to doing it.
I had no idea how easy it was.
Really! Truly! Easy!
When you put butter into your pot to melt it, it’s going to go through a few changes.
First, generally milky, melted butter look.
Second, foamy – bubbles on top, but liquid on bottom.
Third, frothy – a bit thicker than foamy.
Fourth, clear and starting to tan.
When you brown butter, you’re cooking the water out. If you are using “cheap”, store brand butter, chances are there is more water in the butter. Look for REAL Butter. Buy butter that uses milk from pastured cows and fed only grass. It tastes better. It looks better. It smells better.
The browned butter will have a nutty smell and taste.
I’m going to try this more and more in my cookies and treats.
I’m not a scaredy cat any more.
And… yep! We’re still fundraising for Cookies for Kids’ Cancer.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Browned Butter Peanut Butter Rice Cereal Bars
- 6 C Rice Cereal
- 1 stick (1/2 Cup) Butter
- 1 (10 oz) Bag of Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 C Peanut Butter, Smooth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C Mini Chocolate Chips
- Generously butter the inside of an 8 x 8 baking dish and set aside.
- Melt Butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. The butter will melt, foam, froth and then start to turn brown. Whisk the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add marshmallows, peanut butter, and salt and stir with a spatula until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal until it’s well coated.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and press into pan. While still hot, pour half of the mini chocolate chips on and allow to sit for 5 minutes. When mini chips are softened, use an offset spatula to spread out melted chocolate. Sprinkle on remaining mini chips and allow to completely cool for 30 minutes.
Gotta Sweet Tooth? Share your recipe with me on Instagram using the hashtag #PintSizedBaker so I can see what you've been craving!
I link up at THESE GREAT parties!