My husband loved the flavors of the smoky chocolate and whisky in this cake. It truly is a man’s cake!
Smoky Chocolate Cake Recipe
I was so in love with this smoky chocolate cake. My husband loved this cake, and so did the teachers at my daughter’s school. While I was in California, I stopped into a Dean and Deluca and found a jar of Smoked Chocolate Chips. Somehow the jar ended up in my basket and traveled home with me. I didn’t want to waste them on cookies, so I used them in a cake. It was a great decision.
The smoky flavor was amazing. I didn’t want to be overpowering so I just cut in a portion of the chips. It was perfectly balanced. It provided just enough of a smoky hint to not dominate the cake.
I wasn’t a big fan of the smoked chocolate chips by themselves. I found it to be a bit overpowering.
If you find yourself in a Dean & Deluca, pick up a jar for yourself, otherwise, you can order it online from Hot Cakes.
If you don’t want to spend the money on the smoky chips, then just swap them out for dark chocolate. This cake will still be amazing!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 12 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Smoked Chocolate Chips or semi-sweet chips
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Whisky
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare two 8-inch round pans with nonstick baking spray and parchment.
- Melt the smoked chocolate chips by heating the cream and pouring it over the chips. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then whisk smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Gradually add in the sugar and beat for 5 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until completely incorporated.
- Add in the melted chocolate and then turn the mixer to slow. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Slowly add it into the butter alternating with the milk and whisky.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes then turn the cakes out to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Baking Illustrated.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 202mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.