Enjoy some old-fashioned, homemade chocolate pudding mini s’more pies. They are perfect for snack time and the kids love them!
Mini S’mores Pudding Pies
So… after I made three batches of Macarons, I had some leftover egg yolks.
I saved them in a small container in packs of two yolks. I’ve also seen suggestions of putting your yolks into an ice cube tray to freeze separately.
Anyway, I wasn’t sure what to do with them, so I Googled “What to make with 6 egg yolks”. And low and behold, there are a lot of recipes that use egg yolks! I found this website to be very useful because it breaks it down into 2, 3, 4, 5, etc egg yolk recipes.
I have NEVER made pudding from scratch before. I always thought it would be magical to make pudding. I mean, I’ve been “making” pudding for the past 30 years from a BOX! It’s just so easy to add milk and powder and have pudding in five minutes. So easy.
And, come to find out, it’s easy to make pudding on the stove top. It took a bit more than just five minutes, but it was so worth it!
The recipe called for semi-sweet chocolate, but all I had was milk chocolate. (I know… and I call myself a dessert baker. Why don’t I have semi-sweet chocolate in the house?? I don’t know.) So, when I saw THIS recipe, I decided, that I CAN do this!
However, what kind of blogger would I be if I just gave you basic pudding??
A pretty boring one. Pretty, but… boring. So, to jazz up the wonderful milk chocolate pudding that I made, I decided to give it a S’mores twist!
I put the pudding into mini graham crusts and top it with marshmallows and MORE chocolate!
Toast up them ‘mallows and your campfire dessert at home is ready!
Here are a few more great s’mores treats to enjoy –
Mini S'mores Pudding Pies
Enjoy some old-fashioned homemade chocolate pudding s'more pies. Perfect for snack time!
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 2/3 cup Milk, divided (not skim) – 1/3 C +1 1/3 C
- 1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 3 oz. Milk Chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (cut into small pieces)
- 6 Keebler Mini Graham Cracker Crusts
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Place the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt into a glass bowl. Then whisk in 1/3 cup milk to make a thick paste.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk them into the cocoa paste mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, pour in the remaining 1 1/3 cups of milk and the cream. Bring this mixture just to a boil (the milk will start to foam up) and then remove it from heat.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the pudding mixture to a clean, heavy-bottomed medium-sized saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens to the consistency of mayonnaise (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- Add the milk chocolate, vanilla extract, and butter, stirring gently until the mixture is smooth
- Pour into a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap ON TOP of the pudding. This will prevent a skin from forming. Place in fridge for 1 – 2 hours.
- Spoon into Graham Cracker Crusts. Top with mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips.
- Place them on a cookie sheet and place them under the broiler for 1 – 3 minutes. WATCH CLOSELY!!
- Remove from the broiler when the marshmallows start to become puffy and toast. This will not cause the pudding to warm up, just soften and toast the marshmallows.
- Enjoy with some sweet friends and family!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 624Total Fat: 64gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 41gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1004mgCarbohydrates: 174gFiber: 6gSugar: 81gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Tuesday 20th of November 2012
How cute these chocolate pudding pies are looking!! You’re so talented!
Tuesday 20th of November 2012
Wish i could grab that plate now.....looks so tempting!!
Monday 19th of November 2012
I love all the roasted marshmallows on top!!! There is just something about homemade pudding that beats the box stuff:-)
[email protected] Plaid and Paisley Kitchen
Friday 16th of November 2012
Karyn-Absolute Genius! I need to try this recipe as I too have never made my own pudding before! Thanks for sharing!
Wednesday 14th of November 2012
How wonderful these are! So cute and yummy looking. Come and visit us this week. We have a wonderful giveaway - a $75 swank bag from Pick Your Plum!