Coconut Cream Meringue Pie
Today I have some of the BEST Coconut Cream Pie for you! Seriously, I gave this pie to my girlfriend and she said it was the BEST pie she’d had in a very long time. She didn’t believe that it was made from scratch and that it was easy to make.
The best part about the pie was the Meringue crust!
Isn’t the meringue supposed to go on top?? Well, I guess it could, but why not make it the crust?
Wanna know my secret to a great meringue pie crust? Don’t let it stick to the pan!
That’s why I used the new PAM Cooking Spray.My crust just lifted right out of this pie pan. Also, take a look at the empty pie dish…. See anything? I didn’t clean it or wipe it down in any way. This is how well the power of PAM did to prevent the meringue from sticking!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup super fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch / arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flaked coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 to 1 cup whipped cream (lightly sweetened)
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- Pomegranate arils (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whip egg whites with a whisk attachment on your mixer. When it becomes frothy, slowly start adding in the sugar and cream of tartar. Continue whipping on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spray a pie pan with Pam Cooking Spray. Pour the meringue into the pie pan and spread it around. *TIP – spray your spatula with Pam to prevent the meringue from sticking to it.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turn off the heat, and leave it in the oven with the light on for several hours, or overnight, to completely dry. The crust should completely remove from the pie pan once it’s dried and cooled.
- In a saucepan stir together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk. Cook over medium high heat until it thickens and bubbles. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks then gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot cream. Temper the eggs and then transfer the eggs into the saucepan of cream. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add in the vanilla and butter. Stir in 1 1/2 cups coconut. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the coconut cream to the meringue shell and refrigerate.
- Whip 1/2 to 1 cup of cream and add to the pie. Garnish with toasted coconut.
- I added some Pomegranate arils for a fun punch of color.