I call this a Dessert Turducken – It’s three desserts all stuffed into one amazing layered cake. Chocolate Chip Cookie, Ice Cream, and Brownies!
What is not to love about this dessert? It’s got all of my husband’s favorite desserts and 100% free of all fruit! He loved it! It was his special Father’s Day dessert that I made just for him!
I was tempted to cover it with frosting and make a “surprise inside” cake out of it, but I really liked seeing the layers. I mean, just LOOK at those layers! Oh wow!
Yeah, you could say my husband was impressed, but that would kinda be an understatement.
He was floored!
And, if we are being honest here, so was I! I wasn’t sure what to expect with this trifecta of desserts. I just baked the cookie and the cake in the same sized pan and I froze the ice cream in a 9 inch cake pan as well, so they were all the same size.
It’s genius in its simplicity.
I’m not a big fan of skillet cookies because the edges generally get firmer than the center, but the ice cream layer helped to soften the cookie as it melted.
I hope that you make this for your next birthday, holiday, or Wednesday night dinner. whatever… Enjoy!
This recipe is a three part series including these Chocolate Chip Cookies and Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
Find the Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe HERE.
Find the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe HERE.
Prep your Cookie and Ice Cream
For the Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
For the Cookie Layer
- Bake your Chocolate Chip Cookie in a 9 inch round cake pan for 30 minutes. The center will still be soft. I baked the base and had enough batter for a dozen large cookies.
For the Ice Cream Layer
- When your ice cream is ready, transfer it into a 9 inch round cake pan, press flat, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 9" round cake pan.
- Place the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl and stir with a fork to mix. Add in the milk, butter and vanilla and beat on low until combined. Add the egg and beat for 2 minutes until fully incorporated.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes and then cool for 10 in the pan. Invert and cool on a rack. Wrap in plastic and store in the fridge.
- Place the Cookie layer on a cake plate and top with the ice cream. Add some chocolate syrup if desired. Top with the chocolate cake and add powdered sugar and more syrup. Serve immediately.
- I liked the ice cream to be slightly melted to soften the cookie layer. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cake Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book, 10th Edition
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3