Mermaid Inspired Cake – Day Two – Jello Fondant
There are two very special little girls that celebrated a mermaid pool party last week. Their mom asked me to make an intricate fondant mermaid and there was no way that I could do that. No. Way!
I talked her out of an elaborately decorated cake that I could in no way deliver in favor of a more simple design.
Then I came across this tutorial on Instructables and thought it would be perfect for the cake.
We decided on lime green and berry blue for the colors and I went with it.
The jello flavored and colored the marshmallow fondant beautifully. I love how this turned out! It’s easy to make and it was yummy to eat.
- 1 (10 oz) bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 (3 oz) box of jello
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- Place the marshmallows, jello, and water into a glass bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power and stir. Microwave again and stir completely.
- Gradually add in 1/4 of the powdered sugar and give it a good stir. It will be thick and sticky, but keep stirring. Add in a bit more sugar and when it gets too thick to stir, then transfer it to a silicon mat that’s coated in shortening.
- Knead more sugar in until it no longer sticks to your hands. You may not use all of the sugar or you may need to add a bit more sugar; it all depends on how thick you want your fondant.
- Once it’s at a thickness and consistency of play-doh, it’s done.
- To store your fondant, add some shortening to your hands and rub it over the fondant, wrap it with plastic wrap and then place it into a sealed bag, preferably one with a vacuum seal. Let your fondant sit overnight.
Recipe from Instructables
All content 100% human written.Images, text and all other content Copyrighted©Karyn Granrud, Susanne Queck and Wunderlander Verlag LLC, or ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com. Unlicensed republishing permitted. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn on qualified purchases.