Enjoy the zesty taste of these flavorful Lemon Cupcakes for Two. They’re made from scratch and have that sweet, fresh taste that makes them that much more enjoyable.
Impress your significant other with the perfect baked treat. These Lemon Cupcakes for Two are easy enough to make in less than an hour, leaving you with the perfect dessert to share with that special someone.
Lemon Cupcake Recipe
When you want to make two cupcakes instead of a full dozen, this Lemon Cupcakes for Two recipe will come in handy. Ditch the store-bought cupcakes and prepare them fresh using assorted baking ingredients. These light, fluffy cupcakes will surely impress you and anyone else who gets to enjoy them with you.
Why You’ll Love These Small Batch Lemon Cupcakes
- They’re the perfect treat for you to share with your partner.
- They’re full of sweet flavor. If you want to make something different from chocolate and vanilla, try this recipe.
- Not only are you preparing the cupcakes from scratch, but you’re also using homemade frosting on your cupcakes.
Recipe for Lemon Cupcakes Ingredients
- Flour – Start making your cake batter by adding your flour to a bowl.
- Sugar – You’ll need granulated sugar to give these cupcakes that sweeter touch.
- Lemon Juice – Use fresh lemon juice to add hints of lemon to your cupcake batter.
- Lemon Zest – Zest your lemon for added citrus taste.
- Baking Powder – Make sure your cupcakes have the perfect texture by adding baking powder to them.
You’re also going to need an egg white and milk for the cupcakes. When preparing the frosting, be sure to have butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, lemon juice, and some sprinkles.
Do I need to use fresh lemon in this recipe?
Yes, it’s best to use fresh lemon for a few reasons. Not only do you need the lemon juice, but you’re also going to need lemon zest. You can zest your lemon using a cheese grater if you don’t have a zester. Of course, if you don’t have a lemon, you can use bottled lemon juice as an alternative. However, fresh is best.
Are these cupcakes sour?
No, these cupcakes aren’t sour. While you’re adding some lemon juice and lemon zest for that hint of lemon flavor, the cupcakes won’t taste sour to the point that you can’t take it. Instead, they have a slight hint of lemon taste that isn’t too overpowering.
How long does it take to prepare these cupcakes?
You can make these cupcakes in less than an hour. It takes around 10 minutes to prepare the ingredients for the cupcakes, followed by 12 minutes of baking and then a few minutes of frosting your cupcakes once they’ve cooled. It doesn’t take too much time to prepare these sweet and flavorful cupcakes.
What can I do if I don’t have a piping bag?
If you don’t have a piping bag, you can put your frosting in a large Ziploc bag, remove the excess air, and then snip the tip off, using it to pipe your frosting on your cupcakes.
Recipe Notes and Suggestions
- If you want your frosting to have a yellow appearance to match the lemon theme, you can use a bit of yellow food coloring gel in the mixture.
- When the frosting feels too thick, be sure to add a bit more heavy cream to it. You can continue mixing it until you reach the desired consistency, where it’s light, thin enough to work with, and perfect for adding on top of your cupcakes.
- If you don’t want to use sprinkles, you can omit them from this recipe. You can also use different types of sprinkles based on what you like best.
Do I have to use the star tip for frosting these cupcakes?
No, you don’t have to use the star tip. If you’d like to use a different tip, feel free to do that. If you don’t want to pipe the frosting on your cupcakes, you have the option of spreading it on with a butter knife, adding a generous amount of the frosting on top.
Lemon Cupcake Variations
- If you don’t want to use lemon frosting because you feel like it would be a bit too much, you can use whipped cream, homemade vanilla frosting, or even chocolate frosting on top.
- You can add mini white chocolate chips to the cake batter to enhance the flavor of these cupcakes even more.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg white
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 TBSP milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 TBSP butter, softened
- 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 2 cupcake liners into a cupcake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg white, sugar, milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until fully combined and smooth.
- Divide batter evenly into two openings of the cupcake pan.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- With a small hand mixer, whip the butter until it's broken apart. It won't be completely smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and heavy cream and mix until smooth. Add in the lemon juice and whip. Don't forget to taste test for lemon flavor.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip. Frost the cupcakes evenly and decorate as desired. I added a slice of t he pink lemon, some colored nonpareils, and a pink paper straw for a lemonade look.
To make the lemon buttercream a bit more yellow, a drop of yellow food gel can be added if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.