Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Roll Cake with Ombre Cream Cheese Roses and Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
Whoa! This was a beautiful dessert! I loved it, but more importantly, my girlfriend loved it! This was her 39th birthday cake that I made for her. She requested a chocolate and mint cake and gave me freedom to work my magic and come up with something amazing for her.
I like to think that I succeeded.
Carrie and have have been friends since 1998! We are the same age and have similar interests. We’ve been there for each other over the years and I am so happy to have such a great friend.
We first met working at a small town airport. I was a poor flight instructor at the airport (and working a second job there) and she took a second job on the weekends there. We became fast friends (mainly because there aren’t many gals hanging out at airports) and eventually she got her private pilots license with me as her instructor.
We’ve been through boyfriends, vacations, birthday’s, ups and downs, and my daughter even calls her Aunt. Since our joint 30th birthday, we’ve been in discussion about our quickly approaching 40th birthday bash. I want to go to NYC… we’ll see where we end up.
She’s a Thanksgiving baby and as a result, she’s usually back home with her family that time of year. She’s also had her fair share of birthday pie, but hasn’t had a real birthday cake in the past 4 years. I wanted to do my best to make her feel special for her final birthday in her 30’s.
Wouldn’t you love to get this cake for your special day? I know I would!
- For the Cake
- 1/2 C AP flour
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- [url href=”https://pintsizedbaker.com/mint-chip-ice-cream/” target=”_blank” title=”Mint Chip Ice Cream”]Mint Chip Ice Cream[/url]
- For the Frosting
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1/4 C sugar
- [url href=”https://pintsizedbaker.com/cream-cheese-mint-roses/” target=”_blank” title=”Cream Cheese Mint Roses”]Cream Cheese Mints[/url]
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with parchment paper; spray again.
- Sift together flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a stand up mixer, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale in color, about 5 minutes. Fold in dry cocoa mixture; spread batter into prepared pan. It will be thin.
- Bake 5 – 7 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Flip the cake onto clean towel dusted with powdered sugar and remove the paper. Roll up cake with towel from short side. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Carefully unroll the cake spread about 3 cups of the Mint Chip Ice Cream on to the cake. Re-roll the cake (without towel) leaving the seam-side down.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- Whip the cream, cocoa and sugar until soft peaks form. Trim off the edges, frost the frozen cake and attach the Cream Cheese Mints. Keep the cake frozen until ready to serve.
Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe HERE
Cream Cheese Mint Recipe HERE