Turn a classic fall beverage into a delicious treat with this recipe for Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies. These hand pies are flavorful, easy to prepare, and will melt in your mouth with each bite!
“This post and recipe were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.”
Prepare Easy Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies
If you’ve ever tasted a whoopie pie, you know how good they are! They have a soft, slightly moist texture that makes them easy to enjoy. While traditional flavors are readily available, such as chocolate and banana cream, you probably haven’t tasted these Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies.
Do you love apple cider? If so, you need to give these whoopie pies a try. The recipe combines the flavor of a fantastic fall beverage with the incredible texture and taste of a whoopie pie to create the perfect dessert.
Why You’ll Love the Apple Donut Whoopie Pies
- You’re preparing the Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies from scratch using fresh ingredients, so you can expect them to taste amazing.
- They’re a great treat to eat during the fall season when you look forward to apple-flavored treats! You can expect to enjoy them.
- These whoopie pies are the perfect snack to eat whenever, whether you want one for breakfast, after lunch, or even at the end of the night before bed.
How long will it take to make these whoopie pies?
It takes about 90 minutes to prepare your ingredients and get your whoopie pies assembled. However, you’ll only need to cook them for 15 minutes. If you don’t mind the time it takes, you can prepare these delicious treats in no time.
What types of ingredients do I need to use?
When preparing the pies, you’ll need several important ingredients, including apple cider, all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, light brown sugar, unsweetened applesauce, and more. Be sure to gather your ingredients before you get started to ensure that you have everything you need to make these delicious Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies.
What ingredients will I need for the filling?
Not only do you need ingredients for the pie itself, but you’ll also need ingredients to make the sweet filling in the center. You’ll need an apple pie spice blend, unsalted butter, apple cider, marshmallow creme, and powdered sugar to prepare the sweet and delectable filling for the pie.
How do I make the filling?
First, beat your butter and marshmallow creme in a large bowl until you have a light and fluffy mixture. Start adding your powdered sugar and apple pie spice a little bit at a time. Continue to beat the mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy.
How many whoopie pies does this recipe make?
If you follow this recipe, you’ll have 12 whoopie pies! It’s enough to eat some now and save some for later. Of course, if you’d like to make them for a special event or gathering, you can always decide to double or triple the recipe at your convenience.
What will these whoopie pies taste like?
These Apple Cider Whoopie Pies will taste a lot like a fresh cup of apple cider or a warm apple cider donut. If you love the flavor of apple cider, you can expect to enjoy the fresh taste of these incredible whoopie pies that you can make from scratch!
How can I store the whoopie pies to keep them fresh?
Allow your Apple Whoopie Pies to cool down before wrapping them individually in plastic wrap. You can place them on top of one another in a large plastic container with a lid. Leave them on the kitchen table or countertop. You don’t need to keep them refrigerated to keep the whoopie pies fresh! However, some people do like to eat them cold. If you prefer eating them cold, feel free to place them in the fridge.
Can I add anything else to these whoopie pies?
Absolutely! You can add some of your favorite extras to these Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies. Some people like adding sprinkles to the frosting to make them look even better. However, you can always add some chopped nuts to the whoopie pies if you prefer. I added some jumbo eyeball sprinkles to take these treats to a Halloween party.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Be sure to add your powdered sugar into the bowl a little bit at a time. You don’t want to pour it in all at once when you’re preparing the frosting for Whoopie Pies.
- When preparing the dough, be sure to cover it and let it sit for one hour before you use it.
- Place the baked dough on a wire rack after removing it from the oven. When using a wire rack, it takes less time for the dough to cool down so that you can add the frosting to the center and enjoy these tasty treats.
Halloween Treats Week Giveaway
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & it’s a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes, and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Jack-O-Lantern Apple Slice Pops from Big Bear’s Wife
- Monster Eyeball Cupcakes from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Ghost Meringue Cookies from Jen Around the World
- Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies from Pint Sized Baker
- Graveyard Pudding Cups from Fresh April Flours
- Churro Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Halloween Monster Donuts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Witches’ Brew Whiskey Sour from The Redhead Baker
- Witches Hat Cheese Ball from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Pumpkin Swirl Brownies from Eat Move Make
- Layered Halloween Jello from from House of Nash Eats
- Mummy Wrapped Brie from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mummy Cupcakes from The Flour Handprint
- Halloween Candy Cracker Toffee from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Old Fashioned Apple Fritters from It’s Shanaka
- Pumpkin Mint Patties from Sweet Beginnings
- Butterfinger Ice Cream (No-Churn) from Pastry Chef Online
- Chocolate Frogs from The Spiffy Cookie
- Halloween Cupcake Treat Board from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Skull Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Halloween Brownie Pizza from Back To My Southern Roots
- Halloween Mini Bat Taco Cheeseballs from Savory Moments
- Ghostly Poptarts from An Affair from the Heart
- Deadly Dark Chocolate Layer Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th – October 22nd at 11:59 PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winner. No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
For the Donuts
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 cold large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice blend
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the Filling
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup marshmallow creme
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice blend
- In a medium pot, bring the apple cider to a rolling boil. Boil-off the water for at least 10 minutes then check the amount of syrup. Keep boiling if needed to reduce the apple cider to 1/3 cup of syrup.
- Mix together the dry ingredients - flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- When the apple cider has been reduced to 1/3 cup, remove it from the heat and transfer to a large bowl. Add in the butter. Mix until the butter is melted.
- Add in the brown sugar and mix until the sugar has been completely incorporated.
- Mix in the applesauce, buttermilk, and eggs.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until a sticky dough forms. Cover and chill for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Combine sugar and apple pie spice together and set aside.
- Add 2 quarts of oil to a large pot, like a Dutch oven making sure that the oil is at least 1 1/2 inch deep. Use a candy thermometer and heat the oil to 350F.
- While the oil is heating, roll out the doughnuts. Flour your work surface and transfer the dough. It will be sticky and lumpy. Dust the top of the dough with more flour. Roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness making sure that it's not sticking to the work surface.
- Cut our doughnuts with a doughnut cutter or use a 3-inch round cookie/biscuit cutter. Transfer the cut doughnuts to a cookie sheet then reroll the leftover dough and repeat until all the dough is used up. This should make 10 - 12 doughnuts plus holes.
- Very carefully place 1 doughnut at a time into the oil. Do not overcrowd the pot. Work with 2 - 4 doughnuts at a time. Use tongs to flip the doughnuts over after 60 to 90 seconds of frying. When the doughnuts are done cooking, immediately transfer them to the spiced sugar to coat them. Cool on a wire rack.
Make the Whoopie Pie Filling
- Beat the butter and marshmallow creme until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and apple pie spice.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Cut the doughnut in half and spread the filling. Add decorative sprinkles if you want.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 779Total Fat: 164gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 134gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 1gSugar: 48gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.